Continuing campaign: Parts of FR Peshawar under curfew for third consecutive day

Security operation continues with houses in the area being raided.


Our Correspondent July 07, 2013
Security operation continues with houses in the area being raided. PHOTO: REUTERS/FILE

PESHAWAR:


Kandao Asho Khel in Frontier Region (FR) Peshawar remained under strict curfew for the third consecutive day as security forces and police continued their operation on Saturday.


Locals said they were not allowed to leave their houses and security forces had established positions on roof tops after taking control of several houses in Sambi Khel.

They also said several people had been taken into custody in the first two days of the operation, but no door-to-door search operation had been conducted as in the past.



Police said large contingents of police and security forces took control of Sambi Khel, Murad Khel, Syed Ghulam Kallay and parts of Hassan Khel, while houses were raided for intelligence information.

Officials said the operation would end once its objectives had been met. “Armoured personnel carriers are being used in the operation and the entire area of Sambi Khel, Murad Khel and Syed Ghulam village has been surrounded,” said a police official. The official added specific details regarding the operation were being kept secret.



The operation was launched in parts of FR Peshawar on Thursday, a day after the deadly attack on a Frontier Constabulary (FC) check post situated in the region. The attack left six FC personnel dead and at least seven others injured. In response, all entry and exit routes into FR Peshawar were blocked and a curfew was imposed.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 7th, 2013.

E-Publications

Most Read

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ