It is finally mango season and you must indulge in this deliciously tangy Thai Mango Salad before the raw, green mangoes vanish off the fruit carts. Addiction guaranteed!
Green mangoes (peeled and shredded) 1 — 2
Water 3 tbsp
Sugar 2 tbsp
Fish sauce 1 tsp
Small onion (sliced) 1
Peanuts ½ cup
Chillies (grounded) ¼ tsp
• Boil the water in a pot and add the sugar and fish sauce to it to make the syrup.
• Allow the syrup to cook for 2 to 3 minutes and then take it off the heat, allowing it to cool for about a minute.
• In a bowl, place the mango pieces and onion and pour the syrup on top.
• Sprinkle the salad with the peanuts and chillies.
• Refrigerate the salad for an hour before serving it so that all the flavours mix together. Your salad is now ready!
Madiha Hamid is a digital media professional. She runs a food blog for Pakistani and regional cuisines called cheflingtales.com.
Follow her on Twitter @cheflingtales
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, June 16th, 2013.
Like MsT on Facebook, follow @TribmagMsT on Twitter for your dose of girl talk.