Targeting education: Educationist Azfar Rizvi gunned down in Karachi

Published: May 31, 2013
CEO of Dhaka Coaching Centre chain Syed Azfar Rizvi. PHOTO: ATUP

CEO of Dhaka Coaching Centre chain Syed Azfar Rizvi. PHOTO: ATUP

KARACHI: Educationist Syed Azfar Rizvi was shot dead near Café Student in Karimabad by unknown armed assailants on Friday evening.

Rizivi was in his car in his car along with his when unidentified assailants riding a motorcycle shot at him. He received fatal injuries while his driver was critically injured. They were shifted to the Abbasi Shaheed Hospital where the driver succumbed to his injuries.

Rizvi was head of the Dhaka Group of Educational Institutions and served as an honorary secretary of Anjuman-e-Taraqqi-e-Urdu Pakistan.

District Central SSP Amir Farooqui told The Express Tribune that Rizvi along with the driver Abdul Ghaffar, were returning home from the Karimabad branch of the Dhaka Coaching Centre’s chain when two assailants on a motorcycle ambushed his car near Cafe Student.

Earlier on Friday, he had sent an article to the media in which he supported the MQM chief Altaf Hussain’s recent party reorganisation. He had also urged for education to be given importance as a way forward.

Sindh chief minister Qaim Ali Shah condemned the attack and has ordered an inquiry into the matter.

• Saeed M.A
    May 31, 2013 - 10:37PM

Polio workers, professors, doctors, lawyers, and now an Educationist goes down, but never a General ? RIP …

• fz
    May 31, 2013 - 10:52PM

@saeed army is sacrificing their lives on a daily basis please update yourself and do not indulge false propagada

• Osama Shah
    May 31, 2013 - 10:52PM

ET…. please get your facts right, he was a Sunni, I personally know this guy !

• MAHA KHAN
    May 31, 2013 - 10:57PM

HE WAS NT SHIA

• MAHA KHAN
    May 31, 2013 - 10:58PM

he was not shia

• skhan
    May 31, 2013 - 11:07PM

Doesnt matter if he was shia or sunni ; Can someone intervene in Karachi and stop these killings? Anyone. …

• Atif
    May 31, 2013 - 11:11PM

Where are we heading towards? :(

• Truth
    May 31, 2013 - 11:17PM

Deplorable! A great man and a supporter of art and culture. Another victim of lawless land. Everyone claims Karachi in other provinces, but no one owns it…

• Lifetalk
    May 31, 2013 - 11:18PM

Crash and burn, this country will go down in flames before it has any hopes of rising up.

• ARW
    May 31, 2013 - 11:18PM

May be he is killed on confusion of name!

I do not know much about him and it does not really matters to which sect he belongs to but the fact is that he was an educationist so it is a loss to our nation.

• Mango X
    May 31, 2013 - 11:23PM

@MAHA KHAN:
    @Osama Shah:
    He was a human being frist, his religious orientation is secondary.
    However, being identified as Shia is not a SIN. However, in Pakistan even having a Shia sounding name makes you a target.

• Jameel ur Rasheed
    May 31, 2013 - 11:43PM

MQM should be asked about these killings. I mean they sat in Government for last fifteen years, or you can say 14.75 years! And the caretaker government was also chosen from their consent!! They have secured almost all the NA seats from Lahore. MQM should be questioned against whom they are protesting? They cried that TTP targeted them during elections campaigns and suddenly after elections, TTP allowed them to hold massive rallies. Isn’t it awesome?

• Sanam
    May 31, 2013 - 11:44PM

Five comments and 3 of them about shia/sunni. sad

• Mohammad Ali Siddiqui
    May 31, 2013 - 11:50PM

I am really shocked to watch this horrible news on the local TV Channels that a well known personality Mr. Azfar RIzvi has been killed along with his driver in a shoot out near Karimabad today in the evening.

Late Azfar Rizvi was a very decent person.

Every year lot of people were invited on Dawat-e-Haleem at his residence in Block No. 5, Federal “B” Area during the month of Safar and my family members use to go every year on his invitation.

In the last Safar, he did not arranged Dawa-e-Haleem due to security reasons.

I knew him personally as he was also associated with the Arts Council of Pakistan, Karachi and was known for his humbleness and kind behavior with every one.

May Al-Mighty Allah rest his soul in peace and give strength to his family members to bear the irreparable loss of a precious human life. AMEEN.

• RHS
    May 31, 2013 - 11:55PM

Nobody doing any good in or for Pakistan is safe anymore. Very sad situation….

• hope
    May 31, 2013 - 11:55PM

First of all my thoughts & prayers are with Rizi Sb’s family,

Secondly, I saw couple of comments regarding if he was shia or suni, I am deeply sadden to see such comments, whoever he was it is a great loss and now stop identifying people with there sect or religion or race. Try to give importance to Human life.
    Finally, @fz we are not against our army but NO BODY has right to rule the people without their will. And unfortunately our army thinks that they are the crusader.
    I acknowledge and respect the sacrifices are been given by our army JAWANS and I always pray and respect them but the leadership of the army …………. No comments.
    @fz please go through the history of our country and you will find out that this is happening with our innocent AWAM for years, and who is doing it you know very well.
    Also see these stories and you will know who is running our THE BEST foreign policy, if you still think our army LEADERSHIP is good for you and for our country then enjoy todays’ Halat of our country.

link text

link text

• XCriminal
    May 31, 2013 - 11:58PM

Syed & Rizvi and they say he was not a Shia.. What a Joke!!!

• Talha Rizvi
    Jun 1, 2013 - 12:01AM

In Pakistan even having a name that irks strategic assets like LEJ can prove your downfall.I myself am a Sunni syed but due to the relentless sectarian propaganda usually the first question asked from me is this ‘AAP SHIA TOU NAHIN”.
    >Recommend

• SAR
    Jun 1, 2013 - 12:18AM

May Allah SWT shower His blessings on the departed soul. Prof. Azfar was a humble and great man, we knew him since almost 1976. My heart goes out for his family and loved ones. May allah give them strength to bear this loss. He will be sorely missed. RIP. Azfar sahib..

• taemoor
    Jun 1, 2013 - 12:29AM

"First they came for the Ahmedis,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the Shias,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a socialist.

Then they came for the Hazaras,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for me,
    and there was no one left to speak for me."

I modified Martin Niemöller’s famous statement for my fellow Pakistani audience.

• Truth
    Jun 1, 2013 - 12:37AM

@Jameel ur Rasheed:
    This mindset of blame game will never help us. These ares the double standards o people who always claim Karachi for their livelihood and progress. But when it comes to any unfortunate incident only MQM should own it. Please stop this insane attitude and behave more rationally

• Saeed M.A
    Jun 1, 2013 - 12:40AM

It does not matter if he was Shia or a Sunni in terms of who the country lost.Killing an educationist is like killing two decades of education for future generation.

@fz army is sacrificing their lives on a daily basis please update yourself and do not indulge false propagada

Although I dont wish to go off-topic, its the Jawans and the young officers who are sacrificing, not the Generals. They, along with Mullahs enjoy amazing immunity.

• Aijaz
    Jun 1, 2013 - 12:41AM

@XCriminal:
    You didn’t get it, we lost a human being, and you are trying to find a reason for his death. How sad.

• Insaan
    Jun 1, 2013 - 12:43AM
  • jack
    Jun 1, 2013 - 12:51AM

Its a conspiracy hatched by foreign interests to destabilise Pakistan. Everybody knows who they are, but nobody wants to fight them.

• Baji Jee
    Jun 1, 2013 - 12:51AM

To all those who think he was not shia should also consider a case of mistaken identity. Although he might not be shia but his name says it all!

• Zog
    Jun 1, 2013 - 1:12AM

It does not matter what religion he was….he was an innocent human being killed by murderers..

How very sad….

Is this what all the mosques can do…create hatred….

• Athar
    Jun 1, 2013 - 1:40AM

Allah rest his soul in eternal peace and give patience to the family. Athar Khan and members of PAPP.

• QB
    Jun 1, 2013 - 1:53AM

@XCriminal. Please don’t stereotype. Many suni’s are Syed as well.

Overall, it is the responsibility of PPP and MQM. Mostly MQM. They wan’t to rule but not take any responsibility.

• Tariq
    Jun 1, 2013 - 2:01AM

They did not killed Azfar Rizvi , They killed Education , Urdu , Karachi and Pakistan . . . .

• Roni
    Jun 1, 2013 - 2:14AM

Whabi Salafi have waged a war on smaller sects of Muslims and minorities. This is another act of ethnic cleansing by these terrorists. No govt or army is interested in protecting the Shia, Ahmedia and minorities. Some still deny that fact that TTP and their allies are responsible for this targeted killings of Shia but this is going on for two decades, it only gained momentum in the last decade. Until all leaders openly and honestly condemn this ethnic cleansing nothing would happen for betterment.

• Syed A. Mateen
    Jun 1, 2013 - 2:24AM

As far as I know Syed Azfar Rizvi, a great educationist, philanthropist, social worker and who was associated with number of NGO’s and an active member of the society who had vast public relations with people of every walk of life and may not be having any enmity with any person.

His doors were open for every sigle person of the city.

I had an opportunity to meet him last November. He had ever si mailing face for every one and use to go ahed two steps ahead to meet and greet the people.

The way he is been shot dead, it clearly shows that he had been targeted by some who may have known his daily routine and have advance

• Pakistani
    Jun 1, 2013 - 2:25AM

We condemn these killings. And ET please report full facts. He was the member of MQM’s FB area residence committee. MQM activists are being targeted daily after elections. But no one dare to speak for them. After all who cares?

• Green Tiger
    Jun 1, 2013 - 2:57AM

His name sounded too “shia”… Infact, i too thought he was Shia at first. Even the Urdu Media Anchors got confused and some of them said he was a Shia.

Anyway, RIP Azfar saab.

• Saeed M.A
    Jun 1, 2013 - 3:25AM

When You kill a doctor, you also kill 100 would be patients.
    When You kill a musician, you also silence 100 aspiring singers,
    When You kill a scientist, you also kill 100 ways he could have made our life better.
    When You kill a lawyer, you also take right to justice from 100 people, And
    You kill a Teacher, you simply take away 10yrs of education from our Children.

• Xnain
    Jun 1, 2013 - 4:13AM

@Saeed M.A:
    Three lost their lives while killing 18 militants for you. Respect those who sacrifice themselves for you!!!!!!!!

• Xnain
    Jun 1, 2013 - 4:20AM

The comments list would be never ending had he been a shia. Looks like the for proponents of shia killing the blood of the rest is cheap. Grow up Pakistan and stop showing hypocritical behavior. Unless you won’t value other’s life others wont do the same to you. This is a cowardly act and should be condemned for he was a citizen of Pakistan and a valuable asset (an educationist in the country fighting illiteracy).

• kanwal
    Jun 1, 2013 - 6:03AM

A teacher of mine. Rest in peace sir.

• Kulwant Singh
    Jun 1, 2013 - 6:57AM

@jack:
    Same is the problem with Indian leaders for every thing that happens they escape responsibility by saying that there is some foreign countries involved in destablising our country I just want to ask who will fight against these so called foreign people it is just a blame game.They are killing Doctors,Professors,other health workers Engineers who will be there in the end only Mullas and then they will kill each other.

• UMSyed
    Jun 1, 2013 - 8:18AM

@ XCriminal: Syed & Rizvi and they say he was not a Shia.. What a Joke!!!
    My brother’s name is Ali & our family name is Syed. Yet we are NOT Shia.

• Ali Zaid
    Jun 1, 2013 - 9:34AM

I will not wait even for a moment if I get a chance of immigration from Pakistan. This is turning into a jungle.

• ZEESHAN ur rahman
    Jun 1, 2013 - 10:05AM

He was great teacher, person, and good nature man
    May Allah bless His shower on him
    Allah mere teacher ko Jannat main jaga Ata farmaye
    Aameen

• @RAMSHARAFIQ
    Jun 1, 2013 - 2:10PM

@ZEESHAN ur rahman:
    His was als0 our great teacher…we will very miss him in our wh0le life may Allah rest his soul in eternal peace and give patience to the family

• @RAMSHARAFIQ
    Jun 1, 2013 - 2:13PM

MAY Allah rest his soul in eternal peace and give patience to the family

• Syed
    Jun 1, 2013 - 2:27PM

why why ET, why did you not post my comments from yesterday. okay he was a sunni but might have gotten killed because someone thought he was actually a shia.

xnain could it be that some shias comments were deleted? think about that before uttering nonsense. if you hate this fact then stop the shia killings first

we feel terrible this noble man was killed, we know the pain his loved ones are going through. May Allah protect all the innocents everywhere.

• Rashid
    Jun 1, 2013 - 2:44PM

@taemoor

“First they came for the Ahmedis,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.
    Then they came for the Shias,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a socialist.
    Then they came for the Hazaras,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me,
    and there was no one left to speak for me.”

You are almost on target. Just go back one step before the Ahmedis and add the following,
    ‘First they came for Hindus and Sikhs
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t one of them.’

That will give the whole picture and tell us how this hatred for ‘the other’ began.

• siddiqui
    Jun 1, 2013 - 6:14PM

Rest in peace. Such heinous act is utterly deplorable. To create anarchy and chaos in the society is the main reason, and to create more divide between sects. Azfar Rizvi’s contribution towards arts and education will not go in vain.

• ali ahmed
    Jun 1, 2013 - 7:49PM

now Balochistan game is being played in Karachi

• Citizen of Khi
    Jun 1, 2013 - 11:25PM

MQM, u know that the primary responsibility for the peace as well as development of Karachi rests with u, not with the government, nor any other party. U have an enviable grass roots network and u still have a huge posse of intelligent cadre with head on their shoulders. It is ur responsibility to set up a vigilante group, working underground, efficiently and actively, like the Israelis, which tracks all such targeted killers and ensures that they are CAUGHT and EXPOSED. This will expose their backers as well. MQM, u owe this to people of Karachi.

• Jun 2, 2013 - 3:43AM

Whether he was murdered for being a MQM activist or being an intellectual with a Shia name, I have a feeling at the end, one way or another, it most likely will be traced back to religious extremist terrorist groups, such as TTP or LeJ, who are violently rearranging the political, ethnic and religious sectarian landscape.

• Abid P. Khan
    Jun 2, 2013 - 10:08AM

@Citizen of Khi:
    “….. which tracks all such targeted killers and ensures that they are CAUGHT and EXPOSED. This will expose their backers as well. MQM, u owe this to people of Karachi…..”
    No one should take law in their own hands. It is the duty of the state to see to it that every citizen of the country is protected and feel safe.
    The killer of Gov Taseer was exposed, but for reasons perhaps known to you, still seems that justice system has not dared touch him?

• Interesting
    Jun 2, 2013 - 2:50PM

@Abid P. Khan:
    I couldn’t agree with you more. It is the governments and the Police/security forces’ responsibility to provide safety to the citizens of this country. Not a political party.

• student
    Jun 2, 2013 - 3:26PM

i studied in his school,n my mother still teaches in his school.He had a great personality.We love him n was very shocked to hear he hasbeen shot.may his soul rests in peace.we have lost another very important personality for karachi.

• Taha
    Jun 2, 2013 - 5:16PM

He was once my teacher.. He gave me 50 % discount on the fees when i was in Dhaka college near Dhaka college.. May you Rest in Peace. Sir!

• Cheeko Beeko
    Jun 2, 2013 - 6:56PM

Though target killing in not new in Pakistan and more particularly in Karachi, but the most unfortunate part of target killings is that no one is arrested by the Police, what to talk about the prosecution and awarding death penalty by the courts to the murderers.

If target killers will not be arrested and prosecuted, these killers will roam freely and will keep on killing more innocent people day by day.

Is some one listening in this country to me or not?

• Karachi
    Jun 2, 2013 - 8:30PM

MQM get stronger every single day by such brutal actions. Long Live MQM

• Jun 3, 2013 - 11:09PM

Feeling very upset…… and he was not a Shia…

• Hassan
    Jun 27, 2013 - 12:29AM

@Osama Shah:
    I was a student of him and I also know him very well. I was studying in school from Class I to X standard.

• Hassan
    Jun 27, 2013 - 12:32AM

@ARW:
    firstly he was asked for “BHAT’TA”. he refused and got down. I know him very well coz I was a student of him for TEN Years. and I was still in contact with him and his whole family.

More in Sindh