For Saad Rafique, road to poll triumph in NA-125 was lined with allegations

Published: May 12, 2013
NA 125 goes to Khawaja Saad Rafique.

NA 125 goes to Khawaja Saad Rafique.

NA-125 Lahore VIII was bone of contention between the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) and the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) with candidates alledging each other were rigging the constituency. But unofficial results reported by Express News resulted in a victory for the former.

The PML-N’s candidate Khwaja Saad Rafique had earlier exchanged barbs with his opponent, the PTI’s Hamid Khan, alledging that the latter had utilised women to “capture a polling station” in Lahore’s DHA area.

“We appealed to the police for help since you really cannot say anything to women.”

Rafique ended up with 106,000 votes.  Khan, who pushed his opponent to the brink, though fell short at the end, securing only 74,000 votes.

• Hassan
    May 12, 2013 - 6:20AM

I have a picture of Saad Rafique doing dhandali in a polling station..
    But this is Pakistan.. sab chalta hai is mulk mein.

Ecp already bika hoa tha from the start.. koi faida nahe.

• Usman
    May 12, 2013 - 6:30AM

What a joke, this was the most rigged election in our history. So much for free and fair elections.

• jibran
    May 12, 2013 - 6:48AM

How can the votes of both be exact multiples of 1000.

• Rehan
    May 12, 2013 - 7:27AM

Wow, what a coincidence that the candidate received 106,000 votes exactly and his opponent received 74,000 exactly. How do you get such even numbers?

If you’re going to rig it, at least put the effort in to make the numbers sound realistic.

Dal main kuch kala nahin hai, puri dal hee kali hai!

• Ahmed
    May 12, 2013 - 8:34AM

How is this possible. Massive rigging if this is true. NA 125 was totally supporting PTI except for maybe 10% or 20% of the voters, at most 30%.

• Ali Hassan Bokhari
    May 12, 2013 - 9:08AM

Nice elections bdw despite complains to ECP and rangers physically stopping him from rigging, what does the ECP do against this cheater ? declare him a winner democracy my friend is truly the best revenge

• Asim
    May 12, 2013 - 11:17AM

I think its all about the elite pockets of Pakistan that requires a “certain kind of freedom” and in my point of view this “Freedom “can only be given by PTI”. So PTI Supporters must not get annoyed, rather more rationally they must accept that there is a big majority of the people who think “Different”. I wish PTI with the best but please Do not allege the sentiment of Majority.

• Imran
    May 12, 2013 - 12:45PM

My wife, mother and sister were polling agents in NA125. Rigging beyond belief. All the officers, even many presiding officers, were leading the rigging effort, especially on the women’s side.

Female presiding officer stamping instead of voters. Ballot papers exchanged in front of my brother’s eyes in Cantt.. Women waited 4-5 hours to vote. Feel free to ask people in cavalry area. No rigging in Askari 10 because PTI agents fought it out … Roughly 2800 out of 3400 votes.

This is all in affluent areas. Densely populated areas was a joke.

• Usman Masood
    May 12, 2013 - 12:48PM

NA-125 was a PTI victory.
    The presiding officers took so long to declare the results?:@
    And then they close a polling station for three hours -_-

A person not belonging to NA-125 was caught inside the polling station as well. Sadly IK was hospitalized, and no one else was able to rally PTIs polling agents in NA-125 :(

• ibraheem
    May 12, 2013 - 12:53PM

y didnt any voter make a video or take pictures at the time army men came to pull him out of the polling station?????

• LahoreDHA
    May 12, 2013 - 1:51PM

Saad’s victory is hard to believe as I saw NA-125 overwhelmingly support PTI. I saw PTI flags everywhere in Cantt, DHA and Gulberg. There was hardly much support for PML-N. Karachi also reported even number votes, so this could be heavily rigged. After all, Saad’s defeat in NA-125 would’ve put PML-N in a shameful position. All the best Pakistan.

• May 12, 2013 - 2:38PM

Saad should not have entered women polling station. The extraordinary delay in announcement of election result in this constituency also make it doubtful. PTI shoaild take up the matter with election Commission and submit all the evidence there.

• Imranist
    May 12, 2013 - 3:38PM

@Hassan:
    If you have evidence of election rigging or violence – email: web@tribune.com.pk

• Waqas
    May 12, 2013 - 8:36PM

I am shocked to see the results from Punjab. Unofficial results show Independents taking 42 seats, while the PTI could only score 24. It is all incomprehensible. Something has happened to have propelled the PML-N to a landslide victory. What is that, the ECP needs to probe. Well, why would they?

• aaaaa
    May 12, 2013 - 11:41PM

@Ahmed:

Naa, you’re taking about defence. You do know NA125 is huge right, and that people who don’t live in defence also get one vote per person right? And it counts just the same as yours?

• Aysha amjad
    May 13, 2013 - 12:06AM

Hi , I am 22 , went to vote for the first time , wanted to vote for PTI, but couldn’t coz in my locality’s polling station the polling had been stopped due to unknown reasons , women kept standing in the line for hours , hundreds of them .. I kept waiting for over three hours but finally came home without casting my vote (I have a bad kidney so I couldn’t stand any longer). I am pretty sad about it coz I really wanted to vote . I think that the polling was deliberately stopped and slowed down in my constituency coz most voters were pti voters. I was amazed to learn last night that ayaz sadiq from pml (n) had won from my constituency , all I can say is WOW , trust me, ayaz sadiq had absolutely no chance against imran khan … All I want to say is that these elections were anything but fair !

• Imran
    May 13, 2013 - 4:57AM

@Hassan:
    Please send me the Picture….. at mubashirimran@hotmail.com

• Usman
    May 13, 2013 - 10:46AM

well i am not supporter of PMLN so 1st dont take me wrong and even i didnt vote for PTI or PPP or any other party/independent candidate but in my heart my prayers were with PTI (as i am from NA-125) now for all those who say NA-125 has been rigged they are right but ECP doesnt believe on such allegation not even CJP will beleive these evidences are no clue for them. Moreover, following link is for you people to read which was published 1 day prior to elections in which Hamid Khan PTI candidate confessed he failed to go door to door in his constituency may be that factor has played part ……..

• khurram
    May 13, 2013 - 6:29PM

@Hassan:
    If you have any video then share it with us

• Osama Rasheed
    May 13, 2013 - 8:50PM

@Hassan: share that picture to official, whatever is with ecp, we need more and more proves to justify our case, every single prove is important so share it with officials and on facebook too. Thanks.

• Rana Ilyas
    May 14, 2013 - 3:27PM

ECP authorities totally failed in performing duty and unable to protect voters choice.
    Bad Luck for Pakistan. 80% Pakistanis voted for change but Fraudulent old political players succeeded.So no hope to change corrupt political system through vote.
    Electronic Media, Politicians, Establishment, Judiciary all are part of Corrupt Systems.
    They don’t want genuine change.
    Only big revolution through people needed.
    No change through vote.

DR Tahirul Qadri is totally right.