Final hearing: ‘Witnesses gave conflicting timeline of Shahzeb’s murder’

Defence accuses victim’s side of concocting the story.


Our Correspondent May 09, 2013
Shahzeb Khan. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI: The defence lawyers in the Shahzeb Khan murder case have accused the complainants of concocting the whole case, at Thursday’s hearing at the Anti-Terrorism Court-III.

The murder took place on December 25 last year after an argument between the 20-year-old victim, Shahzeb Khan, and the suspects Shahrukh Jatoi, Siraj and Sajjad Talpur and their servant Ghulam Murtaza Lashari.

The defence counsel, who is representing the suspects, accused the complainants of making up a story which had no consistent information. He insisted the suspects did not kill Shahzeb given that there are contradictions in the time of the murder given in police records and the witnesses’ statements.



He also pointed out that the timing of the FIR and the inspection of the crime scene took place at 11:50 pm, according to police records, while the witnesses said the shooting took place at 1:10am. Citing legal documents, the counsel claimed that the whole story was made-up against the suspects by the complainant. He said only Shahrukh and Siraj were named in the FIR.

Meanwhile, one of the defence counsels, Shaukat Zubaidi, requested the court to adjourn the hearing as he was a diabetic patient and needed rest. The hearing continued for only two and half hours. Even though Thursday was supposed to be the final day of hearing, the defence counsel will be presenting more arguments. After that, the state counsel will present their replies.

Published in The Express Tribune, May 10th, 2013.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read