The murder of Noor Bibi: LRH chief asked to hand over all suspects within 24 hours

Published: April 11, 2013
Entrance to the Lady Reading Hospital. PHOTO: FILE

Entrance to the Lady Reading Hospital. PHOTO: FILE

PESHAWAR: The Peshawar High Court (PHC) on Wednesday asked Lady Reading Hospital’s (LRH) chief executive to handover all health employees suspected to be involved in the murder of Noor Bibi, who was found dead inside the hospital’s premises last month.

The court directed SSP Masood Khalil and DSP Raheem Shah to head the investigation and bring the culprits to justice. DSP Saleem Riaz was also present at the hearing.

A division bench comprising PHC Chief Justice Dost Muhammad Khan and Justice Musarrat Hilali issued the directives while hearing the case. Suo motu notice was taken on March 27 when a girl, identified as Noor Bibi, a resident of Palosai, was found dead inside a toilet in the LRH Accident and Emergency ward.

During the hearing on Wednesday, DSP Riaz informed the bench the suspect, Jamshed, confessed to killing Bibi and setting her body on fire in the scrap room near the operation theatre.

Riaz said the team recorded statements of seven witnesses. The laboratory report of the second autopsy – conducted upon the court’s orders – will be made available to the investigation team in two weeks.

The bench observed Jamshed was not the only one involved; a hospital employee would also have to be involved since the area where Bibi was killed can only be accessed by the staff. The bench maintained Jamshed was offered Rs4 million to not disclose the names of others involved in the incident.

LRH Chief Executive Arshad Javed said two inquiries have been conducted: 1,926 patients visited the out-patient department and 40 people were operated upon on the day Noor Bibi was found dead. Javed said guards were also present at the time, but there is an ongoing probe to ascertain how the accused accessed a ‘sensitive’ part of the hospital.

The bench directed Javed to handover all suspects to the police within 24 hours for interrogation and ordered SSP Khalil to lead the investigation. The case was adjourned till April 17.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 11th, 2013.

Facebook Conversations

More in K-P