Altaf Hussain expresses lack of trust in ECP

Formulating new constituencies is a strategy to divide MQM’s vote bank, says MQM chief.


Web Desk March 23, 2013
File photo of MQM chief Altaf Hussain. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI: Muttahida Qoumi Movement (MQM) Chief Altaf Hussain has expressed a lack of trust in the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP), Express News reported on Saturday.

Hussain’s statement against ECP came after commission ordered the delimitation of constituencies in Karachi. Formulating new constituencies is a strategy to divide MQM’s vote bank, he said.

He further added that the creation of new constituencies is an unconstitutional act and considering this how can ECP promise free and fair elections.

While talking to the media in Karachi, MQM leader Faisal Sabzwari said, “Constituencies should be drawn nationwide. We refuse drawing up of new constituencies only in Karchi.”

The heat had been building up between Supreme Court and MQM since November 28 when the Supreme Court called for electoral constituencies to be redrawn in Karachi in a bid to ease the homicide rate.

Earlier, Altaf Hussain had called the court’s remarks on delimitation of new constituencies “unconstitutional” and “undemocratic”.

Despite, MQM’s reservations, the chief election commissioner dismissed the party's concerns against delimitation and pressed ahead.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ