Netanyahu apologises to Turkey for Mavi Marmara raid

Israel prime minister apologised to his Turkish counterpart in a telephone call.


Afp March 22, 2013
Nine Turkish activists were killed in a 2010 raid on the Gaza-bound ship Mavi Marmara. PHOTO: WIKIPEDIA

JERUSALEM: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday apologised to Turkey for errors that might have led to the deaths of nine Turkish activists during a 2010 raid on the boat Mavi Marmara off the Gaza Strip, his office said in a statement.

Netanyahu talked with his Turkish counterpart Tayyip Erdogan earlier in the day in a telephone call engineered by US President Barack Obama during a visit to Israel, looking to restore badly impaired ties between the two US allies.

"Prime Minister Netanyahu expressed an apology to the Turkish people for any error that may have led to the loss of life, and agreed to complete the agreement for compensation," the Israeli statement said.

Israeli commandos boarded the Turkish-flagged Mavi Marmara, the largest ship in a flotilla aimed at breaking Israel’s Gaza blockade, on May 31, 2010, leaving nine pro-Palestinian activists dead.

COMMENTS (10)

Concerned | 8 years ago | Reply

Next time if I kill someone, i will say sorry afterwards....

MK | 8 years ago | Reply

@Donald James:

Defending itself from a ship loaded with basic supplies being sent to besieged population of Gaza???

BRAVO.

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read