This is the first dish I made at home. It’s a quick and easy chicken recipe which can be freshly prepared and served immediately.
‘Gai’ stands for chicken in Thai. In Pakistan Basil leaves are called ‘niaz bo’ and the plant can be easily found in local nurseries.
Boneless chicken (horizontally and thinly sliced) 500 g
Garlic cloves (crushed and sliced thinly) 4
Oyster sauce 3 tbsp
Soya sauce 1 tsp
Red chillies (sliced thinly for a spicier taste) 4
Basil leaves 30 to 40
• Add oil in a wok and heat it.
• Stir fry garlic and chillies till garlic turns light brown.
• Add chicken and stir fry till cooked. Don’t forget to keep tossing it.
• Now add oyster sauce and soya sauce. Mix it and toss well.
• Add the basil leaves and cook till the leaves become soft.
• Yes, your dish is ready!
• Serve it with white rice and lime.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves 3 people
Madiha Hamid is a digital media professional. She loves the food traditions unique to families. She is running a food blog for Pakistani and regional cuisines called cheflingtales.com
Published in The Express Tribune, Ms T, March 24th, 2013.
Like MsT on Facebook for your dose of girl talk.