TODAY’S PAPER | February 19, 2026 | EPAPER

Contempt of court: SC absolves MQM chief after apology

Chief justice appreciates Altaf Hussain for unconditional apology.


Our Correspondent January 07, 2013 3 min read
“There is no harm from withdrawing from a position if it had the potential to create conflicts,” says Altaf.

ISLAMABAD:


An unconditional apology is all it took for Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain to be absolved of contempt by the Supreme Court – a charge which has landed many high-profile politicians, including a former prime minister, in hot water in the past.


The Supreme Court pardoned Altaf from possible contempt of court proceedings after he submitted an unconditional apology over his alleged derogatory remarks against the judiciary.

A three-member bench of the apex court, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, accepted the apology and threw out the contempt notice during the first hearing. The apology was submitted through Altaf’s counsel before the court on Monday.

The Supreme Court had issued Altaf a contempt of court notice on December 14 after he reportedly made sarcastic remarks against some superior judges during a telephonic speech to his party workers.

The court had deemed his remarks contemptuous and summoned him to appear before the court in person on January 7.

Last week, the MQM had filed an application before the Karachi registry of the Supreme Court to exempt Altaf from appearing in person.



The apology

The party chief’s panel of lawyers, led by Farogh Naseem, submitted an unconditional apology duly verified by the Pakistan High Commission in London on his behalf.

Altaf said that he had great respect for the judiciary and held the judges of the higher judiciary in high regard. He requested the court to accept his unconditional apology, which, he claimed, he was submitting from the core of his heart, and pleaded that the contempt of court notice issued against him be discharged.

The MQM chief further submitted that he withdrew the remarks he had made against the judges and assured that in future he would be careful about maintaining the dignity of the court and its judges.

Chief Justice Chaudhry stated in his short order that Altaf Hussain had not contested the proceedings of contempt of court proceedings, threw himself at the mercy of the court and submitted an unconditional apology for his speech.

He further said that the MQM chief had shown honoor and respect to the court and its judges while making a commitment to uphold the dignity of the superior judiciary in future.

“Thus, under the circumstances and keeping in view the unconditional apology tendered by him, we accept the request of Altaf Hussain and withdraw the contempt of court notice against him,” he added.

The chief justice further said that it was a good gesture that the MQM chief showed respect towards the judiciary. “We appreciate Altaf Hussain and we respected him and all other politicians as well.”

However, not everyone was off the hook. During the hearing, the chief justice also took notice of remarks made by MQM MPA Rauf Siddiqi allegedly against the judiciary as well as of a press conference by MQM leader Farooq Sattar.

Sattar, who was present in court, submitted that he had not uttered any words against the judiciary.

The MQM chief’s counsel, Farukh Naseem, also tendered an apology on behalf of Siddiqui and Sattar.

Following the court’s acceptance of the unconditional apology, the MQM chief reiterated that he had great respect for the judiciary and added that he believes there is honor in bowing down to protect the sanctity of  institutions.

Talking to party members via telephone, Altaf said, “There is no harm from withdrawing from a position if it had the potential to create conflicts.”

At the occasion, the MQM parliamentarians, lawyers and office bearers congratulated the party chief and said that by submitting an unconditional apology, the MQM chief had demonstrated respect for the law, judiciary and the Constitution.

Altaf asked his party workers to continue their work in a cordial manner and let go of their egos for the greater cause.

Last year, the Supreme Court sent former prime minister Yousaf Raza Gilani packing after he was charged with contempt for refusing to obey the court’s order in the NRO implementation case.

Similarly, Pakistan Peoples Party leader Babar Awan’s licence to practice law was suspended after he was charged with contempt of court last year. (With additional reporting by Rabia Ali in Karachi)

Published in The Express Tribune, January 8th, 2013.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ