
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) had earlier announced on December 17 that it will tour Pakistan to play cricket matches on January 12 and 13.
However, today in a press conference, BCB president Nazmul Hassan said the team will not tour Pakistan due to security reasons.
"Bangladesh will not visit Pakistan for now," Hassan told reporters in the capital Dhaka.
"We've made the decision after considering the overall security situation in Pakistan and the concern that our people have expressed over the safety of their players."
"We've sent a letter to Pakistan three days ago explaining our position. We've decided to wait and see," Hassan added.
Foreign teams have refused to tour Pakistan since an attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore in March 2009, which left eight people dead and seven Sri Lankan players wounded.
The attack pushed Pakistan into a cricket exile as the national team was forced to play their home series at neutral venues in the United Arab Emirates, New Zealand and England.
Bangladesh had earlier accepted an invitation to tour Pakistan last April for a short limited-over series but the Dhaka High Court blocked the tour on security grounds.
COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ