Madhyana case: Cancellation of bail appeal dimissed
The counsel says that the trial court had released him on bail despite the evidence against him.
LAHORE:
The Lahore High Court on Tuesday dismissed an appeal by the Punjab government which sought the cancellation of bail granted to former PPP MPA Aslam Madhyana in a torture case. The government’s counsel argued that Madhyana was also involved in other criminal cases. The counsel said the trial court had released him on bail despite the evidence against him. He said the trial court did not meet the prerequisites of justice, therefore, the bail granted to the accused should be withdrawn. Madhyana’s lawyer argued that no direct evidence against his client had been produced. He said the case against his client was politically motivated and baseless. Justice Syed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi said that the government had failed to produce convincing evidence against the accused and dismissed the government’s appeal. According to the FIR, Madhyana and others attacked a 60-year-old school teacher named Nafees Ahmad Khan in Sargodha.
Published in The Express Tribune, November 28th, 2012.
COMMENTS
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ