18 travellers killed in Turbat bus attack

Unknown assailants on motorcycles opened fire on bus carrying people to Iran.


Web Desk July 06, 2012

TURBAT: At least 18 people, who were travelling to Iran, were killed when unknown assailants opened fire on their vehicle in Turbat, Balochistan, Express News reported on Friday.

According to details, the assailants forced the travellers to disembark their bus before being shot.

A Levies official said that the people were travelling by bus to Iran to find employment. Of the 20 people on board, fate of two travellers could not be immediately ascertained, the official said.

Police contingent and Balochistan Levies have reached the site, and are canvassing the area for the assailants.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack as yet.

The route is often used by Shia pilgrims travelling to and from Iran. Though the ethnicity of those targeted on Friday was not immediately known.

Chief Minsiter Balochistan Aslam Raisani has also taken note of the incident and has ordered an FIR to be registered against the owners of the bus and the transport company which was operating it.

Earlier this month, 14 Shias belonging to the Hazara community were killed after gunmen opened fire on a bus carrying 50 passengers was travelling from Taftan to Iran. The banned outfit Lashkar-e-Jhangvi had claimed for the attack.

This is the fourth time this year that pilgrims to Iran have been killed.

According to a report, ethnic and sectarian violence has claimed more than 400 lives in more than 200 incidents in the past four years in Balochistan.

COMMENTS (36)

Daniel Azad | 8 years ago | Reply

What these killings of Hazaras shows to the outside world!

nadeem khan | 8 years ago | Reply

give dua to ZIA UL HAQ......and our islamic history.....it will continue inshallah..

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ