Tribune Take: In NRO case, government has one option left

Option number six, taking the matter to the parliament, is the only viable option left for the government.


Mahawish Rezvi January 10, 2012
Tribune Take: In NRO case, government has one option left

In today’s episode of the Tribune Take, we look at the latest remarks from the Supreme Court with regards to the verdict in the National Reconciliation Ordinance Case (NRO).

The five-member bench  threatened that an investigation can be carried out and Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani can be declared ineligible for ten years. The verdict also stated that the government had been given two years, yet no action had been taken.

Faisal Shakeel, reporter The Express Tribune Islamabad, says option number six given by the Supreme Court i.e. taking the matter to the parliament, is the only viable option left for the federal government.

Shakeel says the court is under immense internal and external pressure to have their verdicts implemented. He says they do not want to appear "toothless" and have run out of patience after numerous delaying tactics by the federal government.

Read Faisal Shakeel’s articles here.

The Tribune Take daily news web show will appear on the tribune.com.pk home page.

The Take will feature in-depth interviews and analysis with editors and reporters who are covering the major stories, exploring front page events and major ledes. The news analysis covers the way The Express Tribune examines a story, how we cover it and why.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ