GILGIT: Gilgit-Baltistan’s (G-B) Supreme Appellate Court has taken suo moto notice of the deteriorating law and order situation in Gilgit, directing the inspector general police (IGP) to submit a report to the court on Monday, court sources revealed on Sunday.
“The notice has been issued to the IGP,” said a court source anonymously.
Gilgit, the capital of G-B, has witnessed continuous target killings for the past one month in which five people were killed and seven others wounded — a deadly blow to the sectarian harmony of the province.
“The prevalent situation forced the judiciary to step in,” he said, adding that the police chief, Hussain Asghar, will inform the court about the steps taken to put an end to these targeted killings.
Earlier this week, the government sealed offices of three banned G-B-based religious outfits in an attempt to overcome the menace likely to aggravate during Muharram.
The Ministry of Interior, last month, had placed a ban on the Sabeel Organisation, Tanzeem Nau Jawanaan-e-Ahle-Sunnat and Shia Talba Action Committee (STAC) for their alleged involvement in sectarian violence.
Meanwhile, the district administration of Gilgit has finalised a security plan for Muharram, dividing the city into four zones, with each zone placed under the supervision of a superintendent of police (SP).
In addition to this, security forces including police officials have stepped up patrolling on roads besides increasing the number of check posts on the routes leading to G-B. Police said that security cameras will also be installed in ‘sensitive’ places to keep an eye on possible suspects.
Published in The Express Tribune, November 28th, 2011.