Taliban fighters among 16 dead in S Waziristan drone strike

Security officials say attacked compound was used as a TTP training centre.


Iftikhar Firdous November 17, 2011

PESHAWAR: Sixteen people, including two fighters of the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), were killed on Wednesday in the deadliest US drone strike in three months.

About six missiles were fired at a compound in Babar Ghar area in Sararogha Tehsil of South Waziristan Agency, killing 15 to 18 fighters, security officials said.

Local officials said that the territory belongs to the Mehsud tribe. The official added that about 25 TTP militants were reported to have been hiding in the area.

Taliban sources confirmed that there were two militant training centres in the area run by Abdul Nasir and Abdul Mukhlis.

The TTP has a strong hold in the Saktoi area, which is located between South Wazir­istan and North Waziristan and has hardly any link or communication from outside.

“The target was a base of the Pakistan Taliban. We have reports that 16 to 18 militants were killed,” a security official told AFP in Peshawar. An official in Wana, the main town of South Waziristan, also confirmed that a TTP base was destroyed and said there were reports that “some foreigners” were also killed. The word “foreigner” is typically used to denote al Qaeda and Uzbek militants.

“It was a Taliban base. They were using this place as a training camp, to keep weapons and to take shelter,” the Wana official said. “The drones came almost at the same time,” he added.

Officials said the attacks came minutes apart at around 2:30 am about three kilometres from the border of Afghanistan’s Paktia province.

Wednesday’s strike was the 63rd so far this year, according to an AFP tally. A similar strike, in neighbouring North Waziristan, had killed 21 fighters in the Afghan Taliban Haqqani faction on August 10.

(WITH ADDITIONAL INPUT FROM AFP)

Published in The Express Tribune, November 17th, 2011.

Facebook Conversations

COMMENTS (48)

motsomi masilo | 8 years ago | Reply | Recommend

The international community has adopted a laissez faire attitude towards the wanton killing of poor Afghans by the American CIA by using remote controlled millitary aircraft armed with deadly missiles. This kind of operation by the Central Intelligence Agency is unlawful because civillians are targeted by air to surface missiles designed for millitary targets. The CIA is guilty of unlawful and intentional launching a cross border covert operation on the Pakistani Afghan border that is used to execute people suspected of terrorism without a trial. Programmes of such a nature are not supposed to be permited anywhere in the world. These are barbaric acts that characterise the American mentality and the Obama administration. If such acts were to happen anywhere in the first world the CIA operatives will be arrested for mass murder. The message to the imperialist Americans is that they must vacate Afghanistan and stop shooting civilians with missiles. The CIA are war criminals disrespecting human rights all the way.

Richard Ochoa | 8 years ago | Reply | Recommend

We didnt get into this on a whim thousands of innocent Americans were victims of this poison before and after ( 9/11) The evil was born and fosters attacks on Americans from this area and continues to try and attack americans all over the world If the Pakistan Gov. hides and gives comfort to this scum then so be it God gave us drones and well use it I hope till eternity.

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Load Next Story