ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Rehman Malik said on Friday that one of the two suicide bombers who blew themselves up at the Data Darbar in Lahore had been identified.
Speaking to journalists in Islamabad, Malik said intelligence agencies were trying to trace the identified bomber’s background.
Malik categorically said no banned outfit would be allowed to operate in Pakistan, adding that action against terrorists would continue until the government had achieved their desired results. He said the terrorists, who had failed to achieve their objectives, were now trying to create sectarian unrest in the country.
The minister also asked the Afghan government had helped stop terrorists from infiltrating the Pak-Afghan border.
At least thirty five people were killed and 175 were injured when three blasts hit Data Darbar on July 1, 2010.
One explosion took place in the courtyard of the shrine, one at gate number five and a third in the basement.
Police has cordoned off the area and traffic is being diverted away from the shrine. Countrywide protests followed the attacks, with people from all walks of life condemning the killing.
Published in The Express Tribune, July 12th, 2010.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ