TODAY’S PAPER | August 21, 2026 | EPAPER

Six sailors injured off Yemen return

Dar says two bodies also repatriated; praises missions for their 'prompt' efforts


Our Correspondent August 21, 2026 2 min read
Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar. SCREENGRAB

ISLAMABAD:

Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said on Thursday that six Pakistani sailors injured in a recent Houthi attack on a Tanzanian-flagged commercial vessel returned safely to Pakistan, while the bodies of two others who were killed in the attack had also been repatriated.

According to Yemen's Coast Guard, the three Pakistani nationals were among four crew members killed when the Yemeni-flagged vessel Tihamah was attacked by Houthi forces in the Bab al-Mandeb Strait on August 11.

The vessel was reportedly struck three times by ballistic missiles, caught fire and sustained material damage, while another missile was fired as rescue teams attempted to reach the crew.

In a statement issued on X, Dar said the six injured sailors had "safely returned to Pakistan", while the mortal remains of the two sailors who "tragically lost their lives" had also been brought back.

He said all relevant stakeholders had been directed to ensure the sailors' "safe, dignified and expeditious repatriation".

Dar praised the Consulate General of Pakistan in Jeddah and the country's embassy in Riyadh for their "prompt and dedicated efforts" to facilitate the return of the injured sailors and the repatriation of the bodies from Yemen and their onward travel to Pakistan.

He noted that the efforts had been made "in the absence of a Pakistani diplomatic mission in Yemen".

The foreign minister also appreciated the efforts of relevant stakeholders, including the FIA, in ensuring the sailors' smooth arrival and onward arrangements in Pakistan.

Dar "deeply" appreciated the cooperation extended by the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs, including the medical assistance and arrangements provided in Jeddah.

Pakistan "condemned the attack in the strongest terms", Dar said, adding that the government reiterated that "the safety and security of seafarers must be ensured at all times".

He said Pakistan remained committed to extending "all possible assistance" to the injured sailors and the families of those who had died.

The development followed Dar's earlier statement on August 12, a day after the attack, when he had "strongly condemned" the Houthi strike and directed Pakistan's embassy in Riyadh to coordinate with Saudi and Yemeni authorities for the repatriation of the three Pakistani sailors' "mortal remains".

He had also instructed the embassy to pursue "all necessary measures" for their return and ensure "all possible assistance" was provided to the Pakistani national who was injured. At the time, Dar said Pakistan was "in contact with the relevant Saudi authorities" and the internationally recognised government of Yemen to establish further details about the incident.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ