Mastung incident: BHC takes suo motu notice of atrocity

Published: September 22, 2011
SHARES
Email
Ethnic Hazara women hold placards during a demonstration in Quetta on September 21 to condemn the attack. PHOTO: REUTERS

Ethnic Hazara women hold placards during a demonstration in Quetta on September 21 to condemn the attack. PHOTO: REUTERS

Ethnic Hazara women hold placards during a demonstration in Quetta on September 21 to condemn the attack. PHOTO: REUTERS An ethnic Hazara Shia is comforted by his relative after he arrived at the local hospital in Quetta, to find a family member shot dead, September 20, 2011.PHOTO: REUTERS
QUETTA: 

Balochistan High Court Chief Justice Qazi Faez Isa on Thursday took suo motu notice of the Ganjidori incident in which 26 Shia pilgrims were killed in an attack on a passenger bus on September 20. The hearing will begin on September 26.

The chief justice took note of the incident following appeals from civil society members after reports on the incident were published in local and national media. The passengers were forced to disembark the bus and were shot dead in cold blood. The court observed that the incident has spread terror among the people of Balochistan and traumatised a segment of society.

The court has issued notices to the government of Balochistan through secretary home and tribal affairs, and the federal government through the interior secretary, provincial police chief, inspector general Frontier Corps, commissioner Kalat division, deputy commissioner Kalat and director general Levies.

Meanwhile, the Balochistan government has decided to form a wing of the Anti Terrorism Force (ATF) exclusively to provide security cover to the Hazara community in Quetta.

The decision was taken following the targeted killing of 26 pilgrims in Mastung. Anti-Terrorism Force (ATF) personnel and police with anti-terrorism training will be recruited for the wing.

Hazara Town and Marriabad are two Hazara populated townships in the provincial capital where the government has decided to deploy the special force.  “It has been observed that the Hazara community is being subjected to targeted killings and bomb blasts, thus the government has decided to provide them adequate security,” said Balochistan Home Secretary Naseebullah Bazai.

“Private transporters who provide transportation to pilgrims from Quetta to Iran had already been directed to get themselves registered with the provincial home department. The law already exists at the federal level by which transporters must first inform the government if they provide transportation to pilgrims.”

Shia Muslims usually travel from Quetta to Iran through private transport companies and mostly without any security cover. “It is unfortunate that the killings have intensified. Therefore, the government is compelled to adopt strict security measures,”  Bazai added.

Another decision under consideration was to deploy personnel of Federal Levies along the borders of Afghanistan and Iran. “There are 3,000 personnel of Federal Levies and they will be posted along the borders and highways as we cannot deny the fact that cross border activities have caused much damage to peace in the province,” he said.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 23rd, 2011.


Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (9)

  • rashid
    Sep 22, 2011 - 10:41PM

    eye washer blah

    Recommend

  • lalai
    Sep 22, 2011 - 11:11PM

    Too little too late!!!!

    Recommend

  • FJ
    Sep 23, 2011 - 3:08AM

    no use :(

    Recommend

  • Ali Mardan
    Sep 23, 2011 - 3:22AM

    Justice delayed is justice denied.
    emphasized text“Chief Justice took note of the incident which took place on Tuesday, following appeals from a score of people through reports published in local and national media” it seems that the Justices are not part of this society they can’t see (since justice is blind) what is happening under his nose, bravo His Excellency for taking note after so much bloodshed of the innocent people. I wonder why report of previously taken suo moto has not been made public? Perhaps, pages of the previous report could be available with the small shop owner close to BHC, selling “Pakora”. Believe me nothing will be changed despite of suo moto notice or formation of probe committees as we have already witnessed such time wasting and fruitless exercises.

    Recommend

  • Amazed
    Sep 23, 2011 - 10:14AM

    This is probably third of suo motu notices that his lordship has taken. None had any final say on them. People must understand that this has gone well beyond the reach of an entity as the CJ of BHC. It’s a case of state abandoning a community which does not subscribe to the former’s ideology. Recommend

  • Ghulam Hussain
    Sep 23, 2011 - 11:15AM

    delay of justice is injustice, suo motu notice should be bring the fact result and behind the cover hands must be show to people and affected families of shohada Quetta, dair aaiyad durust aaiyad. we want peaceful atmosphere in Quetta equality and brotherhood.

    Recommend

  • M. A. Changezi
    Sep 23, 2011 - 12:58PM

    Too little too late. As Ali Mardan has said, “Justice delayed is tantamount to justice denied.” To be very honest, this suo motu notice (more power to you your Highness) will hardly have any effect

    It took over 250 dead bodies to realise that Hazaras are being targeted (shock!). I hope this special task force would provide the much needed security to us.

    Peace.Recommend

  • A J Khan
    Sep 23, 2011 - 1:19PM

    Very Good but nothing will happen.

    Recommend

  • Rubab A. Zaidi
    Sep 24, 2011 - 8:59PM

    No good, the same courts released the Malik Ishaq!!Recommend

More in Balochistan