Karachi violence: SC expresses displeasure over police reports

Divisional bench demands detailed reports highlighting steps taken to curb violence and crimes in the city.


Express September 21, 2011

KARACHI:


The judges monitoring police progress on Supreme Court orders hauled up the force on Wednesday over weak reports on action against extortionists and target killers.

Please do not bring a plethora of files which contain nothing, said the two-member monitoring committee of Justices Anwar Zaheer Jamali and Sarmad Jalal Osmany. The reports we want should have the number of target killers arrested, the extortionists taken into custody, how many of them have been charge sheeted and how many sent to prison, the bench said in open court proceedings after normal court hours.

We want reports that tell us of result-oriented action by the police force and the Sindh government, the judges said while rejecting a voluminous report of FIRs and other routine information.

The bench asked Sindh Inspector General of Police Wajid Ali Durrani to complete a comprehensive report by next Monday. Earlier on, the IGP volunteered to personally submit a daily report but the court said that it was not needed. File reports twice a week but have them speak of headway, said the bench.

The bench inquired about the recruitment to the impoverished Sindh police, to which the IGP said that the process has started.

Sindh Advocate General Abul Fattah Malik, who appeared on court notice, shared the monitoring committee's anxiety and disapproval over the reports and said that he was not satisfied with them either. He said that the prosecutor general of Sindh would also be roped in to look into the prosecution and trial of these criminals and to ensure that the people who killed innocent Karachi residents be convicted.

The committee then put off the proceedings till  next Monday, directing the government to come up with a detailed report showing results.

The two judges, who were members of the five-member full bench of the Supreme Court which heard a sou motu case into the killings in Karachi, were asked to monitor the situation.

The police submitted two reports in the intervening period but they were rejected by the committee on Tuesday and the AG Sindh, IGP and DIGs of the three regions of Karachi were asked to appear Wednesday.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 22nd,  2011.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ