Hero rabbit saves owners from house fire

Rabbit wakes up homeowner by scratching her, in an attempt to inform about the fire.


Reuters September 20, 2011

ALASKA: A pet rabbit is being credited for saving its owners from a house fire in southeastern Alaska before it died of smoke inhalation, fire officials said on Friday.

The rabbit woke up the homeowner early on Tuesday morning by scratching on her chest, the Ketchikan Fire Department said in a statement.

The homeowner realized that the house was full of smoke, woke up her daughter and fled the house.

The fire was brought under control fairly quickly, with four engines, a ladder truck and 33 firefighters responding.

Damage to the house from flames, smoke and water was considered moderate.

While there were no injuries to the mother or daughter, the rabbit was not so lucky. The animal succumbed to smoke inhalation and did not survive, the fire department said.

COMMENTS (4)

Adeel Ahmed | 10 years ago | Reply

Proves animals are more loyal than human beings.

Naveed | 10 years ago | Reply

mmm....Thankyou Masterchef Alaska......Nom Nom Nom

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read