Russia blames Ukraine for 'multiplying' energy attacks

.


Reuters April 06, 2025

print-news
MOSCOW:

Russia's defence ministry said on Saturday Ukraine had increased its attacks on Russian energy infrastructure, hitting targets 14 times in the last 24 hours, despite a US-brokered moratorium, a charge Ukraine's military called "fake" and "disinformation".

In a statement published on Telegram, the ministry said Ukraine "multiplied the number of unilateral attacks using drones and artillery shells on the energy infrastructure of Russian regions".

It said the strikes had caused damage in Russia's Bryansk, Belgorod, Smolensk, Lipetsk and Voronezh regions, as well as the Ukrainian regions of Luhansk and Kherson, parts of which Russia controls.

Reuters was unable to verify the reports of the strikes.

In its own statement on Telegram, Ukraine's military said that the reports were fake, and that its forces were only striking military targets. Ukraine's military has previously said it halted strikes on Russian energy facilities on March 18.

Russia and Ukraine agreed last month to a US proposal for a 30-day moratorium on striking each other's energy infrastructure. Both sides have since repeatedly accused each other of violating the deal. The deal was part of a wider diplomatic push by US President Donald Trump since his return to office in January to end the conflict.

Separately on Saturday, authorities in two Russian regions reported Ukrainian drone strikes on local industrial facilities. The governor of Russia's Volga river region of Mordovia said Ukrainian drones had struck an industrial facility.

Media reports said it was an optical fibre factory in the region's capital, Saransk. The governor of Samara region, another Volga riverside province, said that a factory in the city of Chapaevsk had been attacked by Ukrainian drones.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ