9 killed in Multan as building collapses after cylinder explosion

In Rawalpindi, two children die in blast caused by gas leakage

Our Correspondent March 12, 2024



At least 11 people were killed and many others injured on Tuesday in gas cylinder explosion-related incidents in Multan and Rawalpindi.

In Multan, around nine people died and two were critically injured when a residential building collapsed on an adjacent structure in Mohalla Jawadian area near Haram Gate following a gas cylinder explosion.

Rescue officials said the three-storied building collapsed after a cylinder exploded, with its debris falling on an adjacent house and burying the residents under the rubble. The father and son residing in the building where the cylinder exploded passed away. The victims who died in the mishap were identified as 50-year-old Umar, 21-year-old Waqar, 15-year-old Danish, 40-year-old Faheem, 12-year-old Ameer Ali, 14-year-old Waseem, 40-year-old Sanobar, 12-year-old Ibad, and 13-year-old Komal. Seven individuals belonging to the same family lost their lives when the debris fell on their house.

Rescue services shifted the critically injured to Multan's Nishtar Hospital. Punjab CM Maryam Nawaz Sharif expressed sorrow over the loss of lives in the tragedy.

In a post on social media platform X, Maryam extended her heartfelt sympathy to the bereaved families and urged immediate action from the Multan commissioner for a thorough report.

In Rawalpindi, two minor siblings – a brother and sister – were killed and seven others suffered burn wounds in a four separate explosion caused by gas leakages in the garrison city.

One of the gas leakage explosions took place in a house in Bhabra Bazar in which two young siblings, three-year-old Ayat Fatima and six-month-old Arham, lost their lives.  In the explosion, 28-year-old Reema, the mother of the children, suffered 50% burns.

According to a Rescue 1122 spokesperson, there was a gas leak in one of the rooms of the house and the explosion occurred when the light was switched on.

The second gas leakage explosion took place at a house in Rawalpindi’s Tench Bhatta Abadi No 2 in which Abdullah and Ahsan were injured.

The third explosion caused by a gas leakage took place at a house in Arya Mohalla in which five people sustained burn injuries.

The injured included Intizar, Riaz Ahmed, Parveen, 26-year-old Ambreen and 15-year-old Amber. They were transferred to Benazir Hospital.

The fourth explosion occurred because of gas leakage at house on Rawalpindi’s Girja Road. Three people were injured in the explosion including two minor siblings -- 1.5-year-old old Shahzeb and three-year-old Noor Waqar -- as well as their mother Sobia.

The Rescue 1122 spokesperson said gas load shedding in different areas and minor negligence of the citizens were causing such accidents, particularly during the Sehri (wee hours of the day) time.

The spokesperson advised the citizens of Rawalpindi to be extremely careful while using Sui gas. He added that if a gas leakage was felt anywhere, the citizens should avoid pressing the fire and power buttons.

The spokesperson warned that in case of a gas leakage, turning on or off the power button and lighting the fire could cause an explosion.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ