The Lahore police on Thursday denied reports of the recovery of Dr Warren Weinstein, a 70-plus aid worker who was abducted from his Model Town residence a few days ago.
A handout quoted CCPO Lahore Ahmad Raza Tahir as saying that news reports about the recovery of Weinstein were baseless. He said that the Khushab police had been contacted to verify the reports, but they said they did not know anything regarding the matter.
Investigators had earlier claimed that Lahore police had taken five people into protective custody, while two more men were later detained for questioning. They, however, said that the police still have no clue about the case. The detained men included three guards, one driver and a guard who had earlier served Weinstein while two others were the guards’ guests.
SSP Investigation Abdul Razzaque Chema told The Express Tribune that they were without any leads. Contradicting reports about the arrest of the main suspect in the case, he said that they were still investigating and treating the case as a blind murder.
SP Investigation Model Town Shoaib Khurram said that despite a thorough investigation, phone records had not yielded any clue in the case. He added that the police had no further information about the suspect whose sketch was released a few days ago.
On the other hand, Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah confirmed the recovery of the US citizen. While talking to a news channel, he said that 12 people involved in the case have been detained so far.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 26th, 2011.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ