Shale gas: PGNiG to participate in first extraction

The firm owns 70% stake in a concession where shale gas has been discovered in Pakistan.


Ppi August 23, 2011

KARACHI: Polish gas monopolist PGNiG is likely to participate in the first extraction of shale gas in Pakistan, reports Dziennik Gazeta Prawna. The firm owns 70% stake in a concession where shale gas has been discovered in Pakistan. The remaining 30% stake belongs to Pakistan Petroleum. The process of extraction of unconventional fuel is expected to start by the end of this year. The deposits of shale gas under the PGNiG-owned concession are estimated at 17 billion cubic metres, while the country’s total shale gas reserves are estimated at nearly 1.5 trillion cubic metres. The Pakistani government hopes that exploitation of shale gas will supplement Pakistani energy reserves and will constitute an alternative to oil.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 23rd,  2011.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read