TLP ends Wazirabad sit-in

Organisation hopes its chief Saad Rizvi would be released before his father’s death anniversary on 19th

Muhammad Shahzad November 08, 2021


A day after the federal cabinet removed the name of Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) from the list of banned outfits, the religious political party announced an end to its sit-in in Wazirabad.

Main TLP leader Syed Sarwar Shah on Monday made the announcement, saying that they (leaders, workers, and supporters) were now moving towards its headquarters – Masjid Rehmatul Lil Aalameen, Lahore.

“We hope that our detained leader Hafiz Saad Rizvi will be released before the first urs (death anniversary) of late TLP supreme leader Khadim Hussain Rizvi.” He had passed away last year on Nov 19.

Prominent cleric Mufti Muneebur Rehman said, “This agreement will prove positive for Pakistan and result in peace in the country.”

Rehman hoped that the rest of the agreement would also be fulfilled as promised.

The organisation announced that the participants of the sit-in had dispersed and left for their destinations. A large number of them in the shape of caravans were heading towards Lahore.

The TLP march had reached Wazirabad on October 29 on their way to Islamabad. However, they had moved to a nearby park on November 1 after a “deal” with the government.

Read More: Several TLP leaders, activists granted bail

Federal Minister of Parliamentary Affairs Ali Muhammad Khan, who was also heading a steering committee formed for the implementation of the 13-point agreement, in a tweet also announced the end of the sit-in.

“Congratulations! The TLP Dharna has peacefully dispersed from Wazirabad without any further unrest or losses. Negotiations & dialogue is a key to the solution of many problems.

It’s Pakistan's win MashaALLAH,” he said.

The TLP had turned a rally for Eid Mildun Nabi into a sit-in after it concluded outside the TLP headquarters. The main leadership of the sit-in on October 22 announced marching on Islamabad.

The authorities were not prepared for it. In a hurry, the administration scattered to stop the march. Heavy contingents of police put containers on entry and exit points of the city and on the route of the TLP.

However, the TLP managed to leave Lahore facing deadly clashes that left at least two policemen dead and several injured.

Sheikhupura Police had also put up an effort to stop the march near Rana Town on GT Road, however, they also failed with many injured officials.

The third effort by the authorities to stop the march was put in near Sadhoki. A heavy clash that continued for many hours was reported. However, the police force of multiple districts could not stop the march from moving ahead. At least three policemen had died that day during the clashes, according to police.

The police had dug up a trench near Wazirabad on Chenab Bridge and handed over the point to Punjab Rangers. The paramilitary force had marked a red line ahead of the bridge and warned to shoot dead anyone found trying to cross it.

Meanwhile, a delegation of religious scholars and Mufti Rehman intervened for a solution to the matter amicably - through dialogue.

On Sunday (October 31), an agreement between the government and the TLP was announced.

According to the agreement, the TLP was to clear roads for traffic and move their sit-in towards an empty place – away from traffic – until they were satisfied that the agreement was being implemented.

Since the agreement, thousands of TLP workers have been released by the government, names of dozens removed from Fourth Schedule, TLP has been de-proscribed, and efforts are afoot for Saad Rizvi’s release.

The work on fulfilment of other demands was also under way, according to the main TLP leadership.

Meanwhile, two more policemen that had received injuries in clashes with the TLP lost their lives raising the death toll to seven in the recent agitation.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Most Read