US helicopter wreckage: Pakistan denies giving China access

FO, army call The Financial Times report baseless and speculative.


Express August 16, 2011

ISLAMABAD:



Pakistan has denied that China was given access to the wreckage of the US stealth helicopter that crashed during the Bin Laden raid in Abbottabad on May 2.


“It is baseless and speculative,” said Foreign Office spokesperson Tehmina Janjua, in response to the report that appeared in London-based newspaper The Financial Times.

Citing unnamed Pakistani officials, the paper claimed that the Chinese were allowed to take pictures of the crashed chopper as well as take samples of its special ‘skin’ that helped the American navy SEALs evade Pakistani radars.

During the raid, one of two modified Blackhawk helicopters, believed to have unknown stealth capability, malfunctioned and crashed, forcing the commandos to abandon it.

“The US now has information that Pakistan, particularly the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) agency, gave the Chinese military access to the downed helicopter in Abbottabad,” the paper quoted a person in intelligence circles as saying.

The revelation, if confirmed, is likely to further shake the US-Pakistan relationship, which has improved only slightly after hitting its lowest point in decades following the Bin Laden raid.

However, the paper said Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani also denied that China had been given access.

The surviving tail section, photos of which were widely distributed on the Internet, was returned to the US following a trip by US Senator John Kerry in May, a US embassy spokesperson told Reuters.

Shortly after the raid, Pakistan hinted that it might give China access to the downed chopper, given its fury over the raid, which it considers a grievous violation of its sovereignty.

In an incident such as the helicopter crash, it is standard American procedure to destroy sophisticated technology such as encrypted communications and navigation computers.

Meanwhile, Director-General of the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Maj-Gen Athar Abbas has also denied the assertion. The foreign media, he said, are launching a malicious campaign against Pakistan’s security organisations. “They [media outlets] need to verify and cross-check [information] rather than relying on unnamed
officials,” he said.





Published in The Express Tribune, August 16th, 2011.

Our Publications

COMMENTS (47)

Amir | 9 years ago | Reply

@i am baloch: As long as US/NATO/India is in Afganistan, enjoy your so called freedom movement. I bet you will be bubble out as they all moved out of this territory. Balochs are patriotic people and love Pakistan. Its all about those Fueds who have been sucking the money on Royalities and when the taps are close they are raising slogans of independance by misleading the poors. You must be the one kind

i am baloch | 9 years ago | Reply

@ i am american..........you are right...china is a country which aims high and watching itself the next super power...it is not pakistan's relative,which will stand up for pakistan in a bad situation..its friendship is for its own cause...like we say in war "each man for himself" . . and a message for pakistanies .

.and about pakistan! its a country which was came into existance i dont know for what. to kill people?dont u pakistanis see pakistan killing its own people,the pashtuns and baloch. dont u worry Baloch will soon get independence, u dont have to kill them any more

VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ