VEHARI: Ten people of the same family were unconscious after eating a poisoned dinner at Dhodha town on Saturday. According to police officials, Mohammad Tariq was headed home after offering Taraweeh prayers and returned home to find his family lying unconscious on the floor. He spotted that his father Mohammad Sadiq, mother Irshad Mai, wife Shehnaz Bibi, sisters’ Fouzia, Sofia, Afreen, Noreen, Mazhar and two children Ameen and Azhar lying unconscious in different rooms in the house. Tariq informed the police and rescue officials shifted the affected persons to the THQ hospital Mailsi, where they were referred to Bahawalpur Victoria Hospital. Hospital officials said that the family had been poisoned but were out of immediate danger. “We have treated them and they are all in stable condition now. The food was probably poisoned or the meat may have been old,” a doctor at the THQ hospital said.
Published in The Express Tribune, August 14th, 2011.