LAHORE: Police in Punjab on Friday claimed to have uncovered a terrorism plot to target important personalities in the country, Express 24/7 reported.
According to the a letter issued by Inspector General of Police (IG) Punjab Javed Iqbal, an extremist named Ilyas Mujahid had devised a plan to target ten important personalities.
The details of the plan were finalised during a meeting between Mujahid and 13 of his supporters.
Those mentioned in the list are:
- Director General (DG) Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) Lt General Shuja Pasha (including his family)
- Interior Minister Rehman Malik
- IG Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Muhammad Fayyaz Khan Toru
- IG FC Major General Nadir Zaib
- Pakistan Muslim League – Quaid (PML) leader Amir Muqam
- KP Information Minister Mian Iftikhar Hussain
- Awami Natinal Party (ANP) president Asfandyar Wali
- Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam (JUI-F) chief Fazlur Rehman
- Pakistan Peoples Party – Sherpao (PPP-S) chief Aftab Ahmed Sherpao
- Superintendent of Police (SP) Crime Investigation Department (CID) Karachi Aslam Khan
The letter also reveals that a plan had been devised to target Maulana Fazlur Rehman during his party’s Shura meeting. An intelligence report in this regard had been released prior to the issuance of the IG Punjab's letter.
According to the report, the list was made by a man named Ilyas Mujahid, who has been newly chosen as a militant commander in Darra Adamkhel. Leaders of 13 militant groups have promised to extend full support to him.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ