QUETTA: Balochistan government Spokesperson Liaquat Shahwani on Monday said 2,700 shops have been sealed so far for violating the lockdown.
“The government is considering the demand of doctors to impose curfew. It will take a decision only after considering all aspects. As many as 400,000 families have fallen below the poverty line due to the lockdown. If the lockdown continues for the next two months, 700,000 families will not be able to support themselves. Rs 1.24 billion has been disbursed so far from the Ehsas Program,” he said.
Addressing a press conference, Shahwani said some sectors have been allowed to do business after the lockdown was eased. “Precautionary measures are not being taken by the public and that’s why we decided to arrest people and transfer them to quarantine centers from now on.”
It is pertinent to note that the doctors of the country demanded the lockdown to be made more stringent. Doctors of Balochistan also demanded that the lockdown be tightened. The provincial spokesperson added that “On the other hand, the business community wants the government to allow their businesses to open. We will make a decision only after reviewing all the demands.”
Published in The Express Tribune, April 29th, 2020.