Descent into chaos: 22-year-old shot dead after dinner at restaurant

Killing on MT Khan Road not likely a robbery, say police.

Sohail Khattak July 18, 2011


A 22-year-old man was shot dead on MT Khan Road off Mai Kolachi early Sunday morning in what was initially interpreted as a possible mobile snatching.

According to victim Zaran Ghazali’s father Ghulam Rasool, his son was travelling in his Toyota Corrolla car at 12:30 am on Sunday with a friend Sumera when two men on a motorcycle intercepted them near Bahria school.

The two were returning home after having dinner at the newly inaugrated Port Grand near Native Jetty bridge. Sumera told Zaran’s father that when they spotted the suspected robbers, Zaran tried to speed away. However, the suspects opened fire and a bullet hit Zaran in the back, which proved fatal.

His body was taken to Jinnah hospital, where medico-legal formalities were completed. Sumera had informed Ghulam Rasool about the death of his son from the hospital.

Zaran was training to be a pilot at the PIA’s Benazir Academy. His father is a businessman, who engaged with textile mills.

A case was registered at the Jackson police station. Duty Officer Zahid Khan said the investigation was still in the preliminary stages. However, he said that since no objects were missing from the victim’s car, it didn’t appear to be a robbery. Even Zaran’s father said that none of his son’s possessions were missing.

Investigation Officer Mumtaz Hussain also said he didn’t believe that this was a car snatching or an attempted robbery. “The average car speed on Mai Kolachi road is 70kms/hr. No criminal tries to stop a car like that,” he said, adding that for the last one and a half months, the only cases that have been lodged from Mai Kolachi Road were road accidents.

Hussain said that there was the possibility of a personal enmity. He said, however, that investigations were being hindered because no one from the victim’s family was coming forward to help. “The family has requested three days as they are in mourning, while Sumera’s telephone number is switched off and we still don’t know where she is,” he said.

Police said that the family didn’t even want to register the FIR and it was done only after his father made a statement at the hospital.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 19th, 2011.


User | 11 years ago | Reply I dint knew zaran for so long long but the time i soend with him i got to know that he was such a nice guy having all the abilities... He was the sweetest guy i have eaver met..... But i feel happy for him that now he is in much miuch better place now....... And i just hope that the govt take any kind of action...may ALLAH rest his soul in peace (AMEEN)
Shahfat | 11 years ago | Reply

I DONT KNOW THIS BOY ... BUT As a pakistani feel like i have some relationship with him ...I just read this news and been so upset. May Allah give peace to his soul. Living away from PAKISTAN and working hard to get the degree so I can go Home ?? But some time I think which home ... The one waiting with bullets, corruption , terrorism ..???? Its been so disappointed .. where are these goverment ppl ? what are they doing ... what if he was one of their son then still they react same ????

Dont know what happened to PAKISTAN... WHAT WILL BE NEXT ?

We need to stand up and do something.

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ


Most Read