PESHAWAR: At least 400 women from Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa will be taking part in the National Games due to start this month in Peshawar.
National Games Organising Committee Chairperson and Organising Secretary Ahugufta Bibi said that they have arranged at least 27 sporting events for women athletes.
Shugufta said that keeping the conservative traditions of K-P in view, sports shalwar qameez have been designed for women players and women officials. For the opening ceremony, the home team will march in the traditional dress of K-P, she said.
She said that a large numbers of women players were participating in National Games and arrangements for each game had been finalised.
The games have come to Peshawar after nine years, therefore the authorities want foolproof arrangements she said. In this regard, the organising committee meets every week for reviewing the arrangements.
“People of our province are famous for hospitality. Therefore arrangements for accommodation and meal are being completed for the women players comes from another province,” she said.
Shugufta Bibi said that the uniform of women players and officials was ready. The shalwar qameez is approved for women players and for inauguration ceremony the cultural dresses is being prepared. The message of National Games is to give the message of peace and to highlight the culture through the cultural dress.
She said that the association of every game had given representation; the two women from each association had been included. She said that like 2010, this time it would be also organized better games than before.
K-P Olympic Association Syed Aqil Shah had done a great effort for organising National Games in Peshawar and he was also doing his best for the success of games, Shagufta said. For national games the provincial government is also providing cooperation and with the cooperation of provincial government, the arrangements of national games are being finalised.
She said that the opportunity of equal participation was being given to the women players in national games. In the march past seven male and seven female players will take boards. She hoped that the female players of K-P would give great performance and win the medals.
The venue inspection team of the Pakistan Olympic Association paid a surprise visit to all venues including Tartan Track and expressed satisfaction where 33rd National Games would be held here shortly.
The head of team Col Sadaf lauded the efforts of the Directorate of Sports KP for finalizing the overall rehabilitation of the venues, selected to hold various disciplines in sports.
He said: “Today we inspected the Tartan Track and declared it fit for holding the Athletic event.” He also appreciated Captain Ashraf and his team, who extended his services to Directorate of Sports for the repairment of four to five rough patches of the Tartan Track and a 10X10 feet area of the stipple chase.
“Around 90 per cent of work has been completed and the rest 10 per cent would be completed along with refreshing lanes over the Tartan Track by Oct 15,” a senior member of the committee and Pakistan Karate Federation President Jehangir Ahmad said briefing the media. K-P Olympic Association Secretary Zulfiqar Ali Butt was also present during the briefing.
Published in The Express Tribune, October 9th, 2019.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ