QUETTA: Engineers and employees of the Quetta Electric Supply Company (Qesco) threatened to go on strike and stop supplying power throughout Balochistan, including to VVIP feeders, if kidnapped engineer Abdur Rauf Baloch was not recovered immediately. Addressing a news conference on Tuesday, president of the Wapda Hydro Union Ramzan Achakzai announced that employees, including engineers, have decided to go on strike as the government has failed to find any clues about the whereabouts of Baloch who was kidnapped last week from Satellite Town, Quetta. “We have already briefly stopped power supply to Governor House, Chief Minister Secretariat and Civil Secretariat,” he said, adding that they were giving more days to the government but did not give a timeframe. “As many 13 Qesco workers have been shot dead but so far no arrests have been made,” he said.
Published in The Express Tribune, June 29th, 2011.