PCB to review players’ central contracts

Youngsters to get preference, Malik and Kaneria likely to be sidelined.


Fawad Hussain June 21, 2011

KARACHI:


The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) may extend the pool of centrally-contracted players by including upcoming youngsters in the list, as it reviews the players’ central contracts.


The PCB awarded central contracts to 19 players in March, with effect from January 2011 and announced that it will review them again in June.

According to a PCB official, chief selector Mohsin Khan will hold a meeting with the board’s chairman Ijaz Butt to review the existing central contracts of players.

“A meeting has been planned to review the central contracts within the next few days,” the official told The Express Tribune.

“The selection committee is working on the list, which will be discussed in the meeting with the PCB chief.”

The PCB – while awarding this year’s central contracts – ignored senior players including former captain Mohammad Yousuf and all-rounder Rana Navedul Hasan to pave way for newcomers like wicket-keeper Adnan Akmal and fast-bowler Tanvir Ahmed. There are indications that the board may follow the same policy while finalising a new list.

“Youngsters showing promise will get preference,” said the official before adding that the pros and cons of including senior players will also be discussed in detail.

The PCB reduced its pool to 19 players this year from 37 players who were on the board’s pay-scale under various categories including the stipend category.

However, the official said the board may extend the list while awarding new contracts.

“The same policy of assessing players’ future prospects, fitness, performance and discipline will be followed. Players fulfilling the requisites will get the contract.”

Malik, Kaneria’s chances remain slim

Meanwhile, chances of former captain Shoaib Malik and leg-spinner Danish Kaneria getting the central contracts remained slim due to their pending cases before the PCB Integrity Committee.

Both the players were excluded from this year’s list on the basis of ‘suspicion’ of their links with bookies. According to an official, the duo is likely to be sidelined again.

“The cases of the two players are still not cleared,” said the official.

“Both the players are yet to prove their innocence.

“It is not possible to award central contracts to them without categorical clearance.”

Malik, according to the official, was yet to submit a detailed reply explaining his bank transactions, while Kaneria – involved in a match-fixing probe during the county season last year – has also failed to provide the clearance certificates from England.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 22nd, 2011.

COMMENTS (5)

moeed | 10 years ago | Reply @askar khan: do you call this person who after leading pakistan to t20 final 2007 was replaced by younis khan then would you call him trying to disrupt younis captaincy when he along with afridi made sure pakistan won 2009 t20 cup then in same year he along with yousuf made 220 runs stand in champions trophy to defeat india in india ... face it bro he has been misunderstood he always gave the best he could... just like any other international player..
MAD | 10 years ago | Reply Kaneria has had all charges dropped and their are no sanctions or disciplinary proceedings against him either from the ICC or the ECB. the case is quite baffling considering Wahab Riaz who recieved money from Mazhar Majeed on behalf of the spot fixing trio continues to play for the country as well as in county cricket.
VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read