Shutdown, protests in IoK as India arrests over 400 Kashmiris

Curfew-like restrictions imposed in Srinagar and other parts of occupied territory

News Desk February 24, 2019
More than 200 Kashmiris have been detained during overnight raids in Indian occupied Kashmir. PHOTO: AFP/FILE

A complete shutdown was observed in occupied Kashmir on Sunday in protest against mass arrests and violent repression by Indian forces, as well as New Delhi's attempts to rescind special rights of Kashmiris by repealing Article 35-A of the Indian Constitution.

According to Kashmir Media Service, the strike call was issued by Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Gilani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin Malik.

All shops and business establishments remained shut in Srinagar and other districts of the valley, while traffic flow was minimal.

Indian authorities have deployed 100 additional companies of paramilitary forces and imposed curfew-like restrictions in Srinagar and other parts of the occupied territory.

Yasin Malik among 100 Kashmiris detained in IoK raids

The moves are aimed at preventing protests against the mass detention of over 400 Kashmiris, including Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front Chairman  Muhammad Yasin Malik and Jamaat-e-Islami Kashmir Chief Dr Abdul Hameed Fayaz.

Restrictions have been particularly imposed in Rainawari, Nowhatta, Khanyar, Maharaj Gunj and Safa Kadal areas of Srinagar.

Heavy contingents of Indian police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) have been deployed in almost all cities of occupied Kashmir.

As the occupying forces launched a massive crackdown on Saturday, Indian police arrested Yasin Malik after a raid on his Maisuma residence in Srinagar. Scores of leaders and activists of Jamaat-e-Islami Kashmir were picked up from their residences in nocturnal raids across the occupied territory.

3 Kashmiri youths, journalist targeted in India over Pulwama attack

The occupying force also booked an illegally detained youth, Muzamil Ganai, under the draconian Public Safety Act.

Meanwhile, the targeted attacks on Kashmiris in India also continued as three more Kashmiri youth were attacked by Hindu fanatics in New Delhi, while a journalist was beaten up in Pune.

In Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, police registered a false case against three Kashmiri women - Dr Ufak, Dr Shamia Irshad, and Dr Humaira Fayaz Khankhashi - on charges of passing objectionable remarks against Indian armed forces.

With additional input from AFP


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

Most Read