'Nefarious campaign': PM orders inquiry into ministry's notification against 'sects and classes'

It is pertinent to note that the interior ministry portfolio lies with PM Imran Khan himself


News Desk February 17, 2019
PM Imran Khan. PHOTO: PID

Prime Minister Imran Khan has taken 'serious' notice of a notification issued by the Ministry of Interior purporting action against members of the Shia community for remarks against the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia ahead of the Arab crown prince Mohammad bin Salman’s two-day visit.

The development was announced by Federal Minister for Information Broadcasting Fawad Chaudhry. “PM Imran Khan has taken serious notice of the contents of notification purportedly issued by the Ministry of Interior referring to certain sects/classes, secretary interior has been directed to launch an inquiry to this effect immediately,” he said in a tweet.



It is pertinent to note that the portfolio of the interior ministry lies with the prime minister himself.

The notification claimed that a ‘targeted campaign’ had been launched to “to project a negative perception” about the high-profile visit. The ministry said it had analysed the matter and found that “dissidents/ disgruntled elements from ‘Shia community’” were mostly involved in the “nefarious activity to malign KSA.”

The ministry of interior has processed 19 Facebook pages and 20 Twitter URLs and forwarded the request to block to Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA). “Cybercrime wing of the Federal Investigation Agency and PTA shall ensure blocking/ tracking of accounts/ activists involved in the campaign,” the notification added.

Pakistan rolls out the red carpet for royal guest

Social media outrage

The notification created outrage on social media as users condemned singling out a particular sect.









COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read