SRINAGAR: A suicide bomber who killed 44 paramilitary policemen in Indian-occupied Kashmir joined a militant group after having been beaten by troops three years ago, his parents told Reuters on Friday.
Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) has reportedly claimed responsibility for Thursday’s car bomb attack on a security convoy, the worst in decades of the held territory.
It comes months before a key Indian general election.
Adil Ahmad Dar, 20, from the village of Lethipora in occupied Kashmir, rammed a car full of explosives into the convoy.
“We are in pain in the same way the families of the soldiers are,” said farmer Ghulam Hassan Dar, adding that his son had been radicalised after police stopped him and his friends on the way home from school in 2016.
“They were stopped by the troops and beaten up and harassed,” Dar said, adding that the students were accused of stone-pelting. “Since then, he wanted to join the militants.”
His mother, Fahmeeda, corroborated her husband’s account. “He was beaten by Indian troops a few years back when he was returning from school,” she said. “This led to anger in him against Indian troops.”
Both the parents said they were unaware of their son’s plan to attack the convoy. Dar did not return home from his work as a labourer on March 19 last year, Fahmeeda added.
“We searched for him for three months,” she said. “Finally we gave up efforts to bring him back home.”
Dar said he blamed politicians for his son’s death.
“They should have resolved the issue through dialogue,” he said, referring to the Kashmir conflict. “It is they who are responsible for driving these youth into militancy. The sons of the common man die here, whether they are Indian troops or our sons.”