Report finds SHO, ASI responsible for detainee’s death

Police arrest both officials; register case under sections 302, 109

Our Correspondent January 18, 2019

MULTAN: An inquiry into the death of a suspect in Multan police custody on January 16 confirmed that two cops were involved in the incident. Both policemen have been arrested and sent behind bars.

Thirty-year-old Imran Ashraf, a resident of Kabirwala Tehsil, was taken into custody by Qadirpur Ran Police ASI Muhammad Naveed for allegedly stealing goats from the area.

However, during the course of the interrogation, police officials allegedly subjected him to brutality which reportedly led to his death.

After the incident, senior officials reached the police station and shifted the body to Nishtar Hospital for a medical examination.

Meanwhile, sources told Express News that the Multan RPO issued instructions to conduct an inquiry into the incident. On his orders, the police officials carried out an investigation and submitted an initial report.

The report confirmed that the victim died due to police brutality while the inquiry team reportedly held Qadirpur Ran Police Station SHO Falak Sher and ASI Naveed responsible for the incident.

The police arrested both the accused officials and shifted them behind bars. A case (No 26/19) has been registered against the accused policemen under sections 302 and 109.

Earlier, a man was tortured to death by policemen in Faisalabad.

The victim’s brother, Ghulam Mustafa, a resident of Nankana Sahib, submitted a complaint at the police station. He stated that he and his brother Ghulam Murtaza and others were travelling in a truck. That is when a police team, comprising Ludianwala Police Station SHO Abdul Jabbar, Sub-Inspector Khizar Hayat and Constables Mursil Nawaz, Abdul Waheed and Shabbir, intercepted them.

He added that the policemen dragged Ghulam Murtaza out of the vehicle and abducted him. He said the accused allegedly subjected his brother to police brutality in front of them and took him to the Bachiana post.

Mustafa maintained that they also went after the policemen and reached the check post. He said they saw the cops severely beating Murtaza. The brother claimed the policemen asked them to leave the spot and threatened them of dire consequences if they intervened.

Later, he said the accused shifted the body of his brother to Jaranwala Hospital and escaped without completing legal formalities.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ


Most Read