Grok Dam gets green signal after long wait

Federal govt pledges 90% contribution to project cost

Mohammad Zafar January 10, 2019

QUETTA: The government of Balochistan has removed all hurdles in the construction of the Grok Dam in the Kharan district and has announced that work on the new dam will start in the near future.

According to a government statement released on Wednesday,  construction of the dam has delayed since 2009 and if built earlier it could have resolved the water crisis in the Rakshan Division.

Gwadar to have metropolitan corporation

The total cost of this project has been estimated at Rs 10 billion, out of which the federal government has pledged to fund 90 per cent  and the provincial government will pay the remaining 10 per cent.

Last week, the provincial government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $107 million project deal to improve irrigation infrastructure and water resource management in the province.

Balochistan Additional Chief Secretary for Planning and Development Sajjad Ahmed Bhutta and ADB Country Director for Pakistan Xiaohong Yang inked the accord.

Balochistan Chief Minister Jam Kamal Khan and provincial ministers Nawabzada Tariq Magsi and Zahoor Ahmed Buledi were also present.

Balochistan Govt, ADB sign $107m agreement

“Agriculture remains the backbone of Balochistan’s economy,” said Yang. “This project will introduce efficient water usage system and help farmers improve productivity and income from farms.”

Buledi said the agreement was part of the provincial government’s long-term plan to counter droughts.

Moreover, in his tweet, the minister said, “Five districts, including Khuzdar, Kalat, Sikandarabad, Zhob and Sherani, will get benefits. Sara Thoi Dam will be built under this project. This initiative will irrigate 50,000 acres land.”

The Balochistan Water Resources Development Sector Project would focus on improving irrigation infrastructure and water resource management in Zhob and Mula river basins. The two rivers irrigate vast areas of farmland in Balochistan.


Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ