Behind bars for being daughter of Sharif: Maryam

Published: July 15, 2018
Maryam Nawaz. PHOTO: REUTERS

Maryam Nawaz. PHOTO: REUTERS

LAHORE: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leader Maryam Nawaz on Saturday said that she is in prison for being the daughter of a brave man.

The statement came in a special audio message by former prime minister Nawaz Sharif’s daughter before going to Adiala Jail.  “You all know that I left my mother in a critical condition. I went to London to meet her along with my father Nawaz Sharif,” she said adding “We found her unconscious and when I was returning back home, she opened her eyes and saw us but could not talk.”

Maryam Nawaz appealed to the nation to pray for her mother’s health. “I wish to hug her in healthy condition,” she said adding “They want to make me a weakness of my father (Nawaz Sharif) but luckily, now I am a source of strength.”

She told her voters in the audio message that to prepare for the July 25 general elections. “If I was not in prison, I would fight this historical democratic battle with you on the streets,” she said adding “I am still with my people despite being a prisoner.”

Maryam said that she was contesting election from a single constituency but now she is contesting for all the 272 constituencies. “My sisters and daughters, it’s time for you to come out and participate in the election process and spread the message of the sanctity of the vote,” she added.

She asked her voters to support democratic and constitutional Pakistan. “Support your leader Nawaz Sharif and your daughter. Victory for PML-N is a victory for democracy and a victory for Pakistan,” she said.

• Javed
    Jul 15, 2018 - 10:28AM

Theses arrangements are made to make it harder for anybody trace and fool people while she pursue politics.Court saw through it, and got it right. So, leave it to that. This verdict will cleanup the subcontinent politicians a bit clean, please don’t try confuse people with a spin.Recommend

• Muneer
    Jul 15, 2018 - 12:07PM

Maryum Nawaz has been punished because she is involved in committing the crime with her father. The second daughter of Nawaz Sharif has not been punished because she is not involved. Absolutely fair.Recommend

• irfan
    Jul 15, 2018 - 2:32PM

Thank You for acknowledging the fact your father didnot built a single capable hospital where your mother can get treatment .

Maybe orange train station can provide medical facility , as it was PMLN priorityRecommend

• Rehan Siddiqui
    Jul 15, 2018 - 2:58PM

No, you are jailed because you lied about your properties, and from where you got the money to have them. Recommend

• Chengez K
    Jul 15, 2018 - 3:52PM

Corrupt & Insane !!!!Recommend

• Sennakot
    Jul 15, 2018 - 5:10PM

She thinks too much of her stature even being in jail as a convict. This is a general problem with the ROYALSRecommend

• Fareesa
    Jul 16, 2018 - 1:23AM

It’s a shame that PTI followers use the same fowl language which their leader Imran Khan Niazi uses. Show some decency & respect for your opponents if you want to be a respectable citizen.Recommend

• Ak
    Jul 16, 2018 - 8:03AM

In the history of Pakistan all civilian govts have been ousted on corruption charges, now mian sahib and her daughter have set a brave example by coming back to Pakistan and facing prison, this is good for democracy,Recommend

Leave Your Reply Below

Your comments may appear in The Express Tribune paper. For this reason we encourage you to provide your city. The Express Tribune does not bear any responsibility for user comments.

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive. For more information, please see our Comments FAQ.