Chief of the Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa on Friday confirmed the death sentences of 12 ‘hardcore’ terrorists involved in ‘heinous’ offences, a press release issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said.
The 12 have been sentenced for attacking armed forces personnel, law enforcement agencies, destroying educational institutions, telephone exchanges and killing innocent civilians. The convicts were are also involved in attacks on Bannu and Dera Ismail Khan’s jails.
In total, the convicts are involved in the killing of 99 people including seven civilians and 92 security and police officials and injuring more than 50 others. Arms and explosives were also recovered from them. All of them were tried by the special military courts.
- Ghani Rehman: Member of a proscribed organisation, involved and affiliated with attacks on Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) jails and death of two police officials. Responsible for death of three on-duty soldiers.
- Abdul Ghazi: Convict was a member of a proscribed organisation, involved with attacks on LEAs, resulting in the death of a colonel and multiple soldiers.
- Ziaur Rehman and Javid Khan: Both part of a proscribed organisation. Involved in the killing of a retired major and seven other police officials.
- Mohammad Zubair: Convict was involved in attacks on armed forces and LEAs, which result in death of multiple soldiers and a Captain.
- Umar Nawaz: Convict was a member of a proscribed organisation. Involved in attacks on LEAs, and responsible for the death of 14 soldiers and multiple others.
- Sajid Khan: Convict accepted involvement in the destruction of an education institute and deaths of multiple others, and attacking LEAs.
- Haibat Khan: Convict was involved in attacks on LEAs resulting in deaths of 15 soldiers. Also responsible for collecting funds for illegal activities.
- Ahmad Shah: Convict was part of a proscribed organisation, involved in the killing of Awami National Party’s former nazim and other officials.
- Baz Mohammad: Involved in attacks on LEAs and two soldiers.
- Momeen Khan: Convict was a member of a proscribed organisation, involved in attacks on LEAs. Responsible for the death of three police officials, found in possession of firearms and explosives.
- Suleman Bahadur: Convict was a member of a proscribed organisation, involved in attacking armed forces and opening fire on civilian houses. Also found in possession of firearms and explosives.
All 12 confessed in trial courts and were handed death sentences after.