Seven martyred, fifteen injured in Quetta suicide attacks

Seven Balochistan Constabulary personnel martyred in triple suicide bombing


News Desk/mohammad Zafar April 24, 2018
Two suicide bombers killed in Mian Gundi FC post attack; seven policemen injured in Airport Road attack. PHOTO: EXPRESS

QUETTA: At least seven Balochistan Constabulary personnel were martyred and 15 others, including eight Frontier Corps (FC) soldiers, got injured on Tuesday when three suicide bombers blew themselves up in Quetta in quick succession, according to officials.

The first suicide bomber exploded himself outside an FC check post at Mian Ghundi on the outskirts of the provincial capital after he was spotted by the guards manning the check post. Eight FC personnel were injured in the explosion.

“Moments later, another bomber, who was covering the first attacker, exchanged fire with the security forces and later blew himself up,” DIG Quetta Abdul Razzaq Cheema said.

A heavy contingent of law-enforcement agencies rushed to the spot and shifted the eight injured FC personnel to the Combine Military Hospital.



PHOTO: EXPRESS

Half an hour later, a third bomber drove his motorcycle into a truck carrying Balochistan Constabulary personnel on a road leading to the airport. This is the most heavily-guarded area in the provincial capital.

Injured are being taken to Civil Hospital. PHOTO: EXPRESS

Seven soldiers lost their lives in the third attack. The bombing was so powerful that the truck overturned.



A view of suicide attack at police van on Airport Road. PHOTO: EXPRESS

“Foolproof security arrangements had been made in the area in connection with the arrival of the AJK prime minister in Quetta,” Cheema said at the scene of the attack on the airport road.

“Balochistan Constabulary personnel were returning from duty when attacked,” he added.

The martyrs were identified as Nisar Ahmed, Jamal Khan, Shah Noor, Ahmed Ali, Aideen Khan, Ashiq Ali and Zahoor Ahmed.

One of the wounded soldiers is said to be in a critical condition.

“We are in a warlike situation,” said the DIG, adding, “Security forces are on alert and we have to win this war.”

The Bomb Disposal Squad confirmed that 10-15kg explosive material was used in the attack against the security personnel.

“Every area in Quetta city is sensitive in terms of security challenges but our forces are performing their duties to protect the lives and properties of the people of Balochistan,” Cheema said.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attacks.

COMMENTS (3)

numbersnumbers | 3 years ago | Reply @Pakistani: Hmm, no mention of Pakistani backed terrorist outfits active in the region past decades!
Pakistani | 3 years ago | Reply Quetta needs to be cleansed.
VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read