#MeToo reaches Pakistan as more women come forth accusing Ali Zafar

Published: April 20, 2018
PHOTO: FILE

PHOTO: FILE

SCREENGRAB SCREENGRAB SCREENGRAB SCREENGRAB PHOTO: FILE

Ever since Meesha Shafi has come forward sharing her story of sexual harassment at the hands of Pakistan’s famous singer, Ali Zafar, many others have broken their silence as well – admitting that they, too, have felt harassed by the Channo singer.

One such individual is Humna Raza, a Pakistani blogger who writes about spreading positivity, also shared how a fan-moment with Ali didn’t quite turn out to be what she had expected.

“I was at an event and I saw Ali Zafar there. I was very excited so I decided to get a selfie with him,” Humna tweeted on Thursday. “He didn’t say anything, but smirked and opened his arms that I took as a yes. I stood next to him and felt his hand go up the side of my waist. I felt it and I knew what happened.”

Humna added that she had misunderstood Ali back then but when she heard about Meesha’s allegations, she knew hers was a case of harassment.

Another Twitter user, Leena Ghani also gained some courage to speak up on the matter once Meesha broke her silence. In a tweet, Leena penned, “In the many years I have known Ali, he has, on many occasions, crossed boundaries of what is appropriate behaviour between friends.”

Speaking of what defines indecent conduct, Leena shared, “The memories of the times where Ali thought he could get away by saying vulgar things to me still disgusts me.”

LUMS Alumni, Maham Javaid took to Twitter explaining how Ali once tried to harass her cousin. She mentioned that they even thought of reporting him but since he is a celebrity, no one would have believed them.

Twitter user, Sofi also shared that Ali had misbehaved with a lot of girls when he visited the US.

SCREENGRAB

SCREENGRAB

SCREENGRAB

SCREENGRAB

SCREENGRAB

SCREENGRAB

SCREENGRAB

SCREENGRAB

With the huge number of women speaking up about their harassment stories, it seems that the #MeToo movement has initiated in Pakistan. Earlier, Khalid Bajwa of Patari was accused of inappropriate behaviour that forced him to step down from his position in the firm. Just like Hollywood, women across Pakistan are now calling for change.

Have something to add to the story? Share in the comments below.

• rk singh
    Apr 20, 2018 - 4:37PM

there is no smoke without fire.Recommend

• Ismail Mirza
    Apr 20, 2018 - 5:23PM

@rk singh:
    From news on the street one hears that his father-in-law is a very prominent advocate The question is whether that person attends to his defense or prosecution ?Recommend

• neat
    Apr 20, 2018 - 8:01PM

off all the gorgeous women in Pakistan, why Meesha, Ali?Recommend

• Abid
    Apr 20, 2018 - 9:56PM

Burden of proof lies with the accusers…. Its about time they come up with evidence as social media is no place to lay such serious accusations. Let the court decide otherwise it will always be treated as an attempt o
    to get cheap popularity by someone who was losing fan base… So… Why not…. #MeTooRecommend

• Jamal
    Apr 20, 2018 - 11:57PM

Humna Raza who told you to take a selfie with him? so Don’t cry over spilt milk.Recommend

• Ahmad Ali
    Apr 21, 2018 - 7:39AM

This so sad.People should boycott Recommend

• Such bolta hoon
    Apr 21, 2018 - 1:06PM

I just find such accusations very strange from an an individual who is happy to expose herself in cheap Holywood movies for the sake of publicity.
    These things usually happen in celebrity world when all the hugs and kisses happen between male and female artists and where do you draw a line that is just greeting, or a photo pose. The issue is all about avoiding all this in the first instance.Recommend

• Mirestan
    Apr 22, 2018 - 4:23PM

Ali Zafar, I did not know that you are a stud. All Pakistani actress are after you. defend your self. if guilty apologize.Recommend

• mama
    Apr 23, 2018 - 2:09AM

Shahbash girls!. You are very brave and we all believe you. Dont listen to the haters. All these blood men need to be taught the lesson of their lives. Remember, there is a HUGH, if silent majority that believes you. Young girls nowadays are so brave!Recommend

• shakeel Mahota
    Apr 24, 2018 - 11:21PM

why only members of showbiz community..??? Are men and women in other thousands of professions very pious and decent????????Recommend

More in Gossip