ISLAMABAD: The government on Thursday removed heads of four power distribution companies following their failure to control losses and electricity theft.
According to the Ministry of Energy (Power Division), chief executive officers of Lahore Electric Supply Company (Lesco), Peshawar Electric Supply Company (Pesco), Quetta Electric Supply Company (Quesco) and Sukkur Electric Power Company (Sepco) have been removed.
Action was taken against officials of the power distribution companies whose losses had increased due to electricity theft, it said. Boards of directors of these companies have also been asked to take further action.
PAC grills energy officials about inefficiencies
“Targets were given to the companies to control losses. Those heads have been removed who failed to reduce losses and curb power theft,” a Power Division spokesperson said.
Zukaulla Gundapor has been appointed new chief of Pesco, Attaullah Bhutta as CEO of Quesco, Mujahid Pervez Chatta as Lesco CEO and Saeed Ahmad as Sepco CEO.
The Power Division emphasised that the government was taking all possible measures to tackle electricity theft and losses.
Separately in a statement, Minister for Power Division Awais Ahmed Khan Leghari said the government was working on a long-term plan to utilise all domestic energy resources such as wind, solar, coal and hydel to generate electricity.
He pointed out that solar power projects of 800-megawatt capacity had been running in Sindh and Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa whereas work on 870MW projects was under way. The government had not only been working on the 1,410MW Tarbela-4 extension project in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, but several small hydroelectric power projects were also producing electricity in the province, he said.
No power distribution company performing up to the mark
Work was also under way on the 4,300MW Dasu hydroelectric power project in the province.
Leghari emphasised that Punjab was required to develop imported liquefied natural gas-based power projects, but as soon as projects depending on domestic resources kicked off operation, the government would give priority to these ventures.
Published in The Express Tribune, February 2nd, 2018.
Like Business on Facebook, follow @TribuneBiz on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ