Three seminary students die of asphyxia in Kuchlak

Total number of deaths related to gas leakage from heaters in last two weeks in Balochistan hits 10


Mohammad Zafar December 12, 2017
A gas burner is pictured on a cooker. PHOTO: REUTERS

QUETTA: In yet another incident of asphyxia, three students of a local seminary in Kuchlak lost their lives after they left a gas heater on in their room before going to sleep.

“Hafiz Nizam ud Din, Hafiz Muhammad Yaqoob and Jailani left the heater on, which filled the room with gas and led to their deaths,” the police said.

The dead bodies were shifted to Civil Hospital Quetta for autopsy where doctors determined suffocation as the cause of deaths.

“We have been informed by the officials of Khair Khuwa Seminary that our son Muhammad Yaqoob died due to gas leakage,” a relative of one of the expired students said. “We rushed to the hospital as soon as we received the information.”

Three restaurant workers die of suffocation in Karachi

With this incident, the total number of people, who died due to gas leakage in the last two weeks in Balochistan, has reached 10.

A child died and two others were wounded after a gas explosion on Joint Road. In other such incidents in Quetta and other cities of the province, nine people have died while 15 others have been injured.

Sui Southern Gas Company General Manager Madni Siddiqui said, “Every year when winter season begins we launch an awareness campaign for public safety. Despite frequent safety campaigns, gas leakage incidents are rampant and we are investigating them.”

He said, “Sui Gas is a natural blessing, but without safety measures it can cause severe damages.”

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read