Angela Lansbury says women must ‘sometime take blame’ for sexual harassment

In the wake of the numerous allegations against Harvey Weinstein, 92-year old offered a strikingly different take


By News Desk November 28, 2017
PHOTO: ONLINE

According to The Telegraph, Dame Angela Lansbury said that women themselves are responsible for the abuse they face as they ‘go out of their way to make themselves attractive’ to men.

In the wake of the numerous allegations against Harvey Weinstein and others in Hollywood, the 92-year old offered a strikingly different take.

"There are two sides to this coin. We have to own up to the fact that women, since time immemorial, have gone out of their way to make themselves attractive. And unfortunately, it has backfired on us - and this is where we are today," Lansbury said.

Adding on she told Radio Times, “We must sometimes take blame, women. I really do think that. Although it’s awful to say we can’t make ourselves look as attractive as possible without being knocked down and raped”.

Lansbury added that women "shouldn't have to be" prepared for this.

"Should women be prepared for this? No, they shouldn't have to be," she said. "There's no excuse for that. And I think it will stop now - it will have to. I think a lot of men must be very worried at this point."

Dame Angela said she had not suffered any harassment during her time as a young actress in Hollywood.

In response to her comments, the Rape Crisis England & Wales issued a statement: “It is a deeply unhelpful myth that rape and other forms of sexual violence are caused or ‘provoked’ by women’s sexuality or ‘attractiveness’.

COMMENTS (3)

Bunny Rabbit | 3 years ago | Reply And she sounds sensible . I am addicted to her series " Murder , she wrote " .
Andrew | 3 years ago | Reply Dame Angela Lansbury can make such idiotic and nonsensical statements because is one of the fortunate few who have never had to face sexual harrassment. I'm saying this because she herself has made the claim that she has never faced sexual harrassment. Sexual harrassment has nothing to do with the way a woman dresses or carries herself. It has everything to do, however, with the upbringing of the male child. If he sees that his father is misbehaving with other women, he will automatically be conditioned to to think that it is acceptable to misbehave or harrass females. It has to do also with the fact that the teachings of Christianity (being a Christian, I can only comment on the teachings of Christianity) wherein it is said that the woman has to be in subjection to the man, while at the second time admonishing men to abstain from looking at a female in wrong manner. Sexual harrassment is a man's way of trying to show other men how desirable he is just because he may have the finances to mess around or that he thinks it is his good given right to do so. There is approximately only 1% of the entire female population in the world who use their sex appeal to get ahead in life and this 1% has made the lives of the other 99% female population miserable because of this method of getting ahead in life. The majority of women are of good moral standing and are hard working members of the economy. Their contributions cannot be ignored. But this in no way means that man has the right to sexually harrass a woman. Even a prostitute cannot be forced to sell her body to someone she doesn't want to. So Dame Angela Lansbury, please correct your opinion about women and refrain from making such irresponsible and stupid comments.
VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read