Huge losses incurred as fire engulfs whole furniture market in Orangi Town

It took some four hours to douse the fire which was caused by a short circuit


News Desk November 23, 2017
PHOTO: ATHAR KHAN/EXPRESS

A fire broke out on Thursday in Karachi's Orangi Town furniture market, engulfing a large number of shops located there and incurring huge losses to the owners.

According to Express News, the fire which broke out during the wee hours of Thursday was caused by a short circuit in a nearby electric pole. The conflagration within minutes enveloped the whole market after which some five tenders were dispatched to douse the fire.

Fire safety: 20 filling stations issued notices

However, due to unavailability of water in the fire brigade vehicles, more tenders were dispatched. The tenders were on their way when they fell inside the caving created for construction in Banaras area, delaying the process of cooling down the fire.

The fire brigade succeeded after four hours of work to douse the fire but by then, according to the witnesses, all shops had been burnt to ashes causing huge losses to the business community of the area.

So far, no casualties or injuries have been reported.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read