Muslim aspiring model severely injured in London acid attack on her 21st birthday

Published: June 27, 2017
PHOTO: Go-Fund-Me (VIA The Independent)

Aspiring model Resham Khan and her cousin were attacked in London. They both had acid thrown over them by an unknown assailant. PHOTO: Go-Fund-Me (VIA The Independent)

An aspiring model Resham Khan and her 37-year-old cousin Jameel Mukhtar have been left with ‘life-changing’ injuries after they suffered an unprovoked acid attack London, reported The Independent.

The two were out celebrating Khan’s 21st birthday and were inside their car at a traffic signal in Beckton, East London when the attacker threw acid into their car.

“The pain was excruciating”, Khan wrote on her Twitter. “My cousin struggled to get us away. I saw my clothes burn away in front of me.”

ASF report: Acid-throwing cases post sharp decline

The pain was so excruciating that it force them to strip off in middle of the road.

“He [Mukhtar] put his foot down as we were coming onto a dual carriage way but the pain took over and we crashed. We stripped off in the middle of the road, running around screaming and begging for water. We did this for 45 minutes. No ambulance came,” she added.

Finally, the pair was driven to the hospital by a passer-by and was transferred to a specialist burns unit.

Explaining how the horrific incident has changed her life, Khan said, her old self is “gone forever”.

Khan, a Business Management student, had recently completed nine months’ worth of study in Cyprus, Turkey, and was looking to start her new job.

A fundraising page has set up by fellow students to help the two said, “She feels as though her identity has been stolen from her.” It also stated, “The scars Resham and Jameel carry will last a lifetime.”

Khan suffered major damage to her left eye and was burned across her face body, needing a skin graft, the fundraiser also stated. Mukhtar is reportedly placed in an induced coma after suffering from severe burns across his head, face and body, it also damaged his eye and a skin graft was needed.

Two women, child injured after using acid-laced water

A Met Police spokesperson said: “Both victims have suffered burn injuries described as life-changing. It is believed the victims were inside a parked car when a man approached and threw a corrosive substance through the open window.”

She also expressed her disappointment and disbelief over the occurrence of such incidents and stated, “I’m devastated. I keep wondering if my life will ever be the same. Acid attacks in the UK are unheard of for me.”

In a message posted on her Facebook profile, Khan said, “It’s warmed my heart seeing so many people come together to support me and my family. Words can’t describe how you have all made me feel during such a low point in my life.”

Despite the harrowing incident, Khan is in high spirit and hope it doesn’t get in the way of her life. “I want to make sure that this doesn’t get in the way of my life anymore than it has. I’ll get myself back into work, I’ll look good, I’ll graduate. And things will get better.”

• Bunny Rabbit
    Jun 27, 2017 - 2:04PM

Geez thats horrid … Recommend

• Mohammed Mirza
    Jun 27, 2017 - 2:19PM

May they catch the perperatorRecommend

• Saeed Masood
    Jun 27, 2017 - 2:22PM

Was the criminal arrested..??, why did the ambulance did not come..??Recommend

• jhgfhk
    Jun 27, 2017 - 4:03PM

so sadRecommend

• nasir
    Jun 27, 2017 - 4:51PM

CHRISTIAN TERRORISMRecommend

• Sara
    Jun 27, 2017 - 7:00PM

@Bunny Rabbit:
    What’s more horrid is that the media isn’t reporting this as a racist crime!Recommend

• Shah S
    Jun 27, 2017 - 7:59PM

@Mohammed Mirza: No Chance of any arrest or charges if the perpetrator is white as then that white criminal will be declared mentally unstable instead of a terrorist terrorizing people; to avoid jail sentencing; Recommend

• Humza
    Jun 27, 2017 - 9:29PM

People are becoming more afraid of going to London by the day.Recommend

• asad
    Jun 27, 2017 - 10:07PM

where is sharmin ubaid now???
    ask her to make a film on it and hopefuly she will not becoz that will make london angry.
    oh mind u the assilant was christen not a muslim….Recommend

• Ehsan
    Jun 27, 2017 - 10:17PM

horrible and unforgivable. The culprit must be put behind bars and punished severely.Recommend

• Insaaf Hussain
    Jun 28, 2017 - 3:00AM

@Sara: It is not racist attack. It is anti Islamic. Muslims are now hated all over the non-Islamic world. Islam is a religion, not a race. All of us love Mohammad (PBUH), which makes us common. So it is not race thing, understand?Recommend

• Farru
    Jun 28, 2017 - 3:38PM

Test case. Acid attack in the UK? ShockingRecommend

• israr
    Jun 28, 2017 - 4:49PM

first u need to get back to full recovery, what happened to the attacker, police must catch him and then take him to task.
    I would like you to kindly relax think about nothing it will all come together, just remember if you are still alive Allah has kept you here in this world for a reason, that reason will be shown to you soon inshaAllah for now if you must think u should think of getting well back who u r and then focus on ur career, play indoor games that challenges you, mental exercise is a must keep urself occupied with these exercises and keep improving, eat what u like , cake , ice cream, u love grill food so go for it do not stop being u, inshaAllah things will be better soonRecommend

• Human
    Jun 29, 2017 - 9:55AM

@asad:

How are you so sure it was a christian ?

We all are humans & this was an attack on humanity not on any race or religion – we have to make this change & stand together as one as Human Recommend

• Sans Sense
    Jun 29, 2017 - 11:18AM

My prayers are with you. May ALLAh have mercy on you both.Recommend

More in World