PARACHINAR: The death toll in Friday’s two back-to-back blasts in one of the busiest neighbourhoods of Parachinar rose to 64 on Saturday.
Hours after a suicide car bombing in Quetta on Friday, two blasts had ripped through the main market of the town in Kurram Agency.
The first blast took place at around 5pm in Turi Market, located on the edge of the recently-designated Red Zone, said a senior administration official. The second explosion occurred when rescuers and bystanders rushed to help the survivors of the first blast.
After a thorough investigation and counter checking from relatives of the deceased, the political administration issued a list of 64 people who were killed in the twin blasts.
The blast also injured over 261 people who were shopping after culmination of Al Quds day rally in the agency headquarter.
Medical Superintendent of the agency headquarters hospital Dr Sabir Hussain told The Express Tribune that army helicopters had airlifted 11 people to the Combined Military Hospital in Peshawar.
He further informed that owing to the shortage of beds, 24 critically injured patients were also shifted to the Lady Reading Hospital while another four succumbed to their injures at CMH Peshawar.
Some of the injured told this correspondent that four people had to be adjusted on a single bed at the agency headquarters hospital.
Meanwhile, funeral prayers for 60 victims were offered at the central Imambargah, while some of the victims were buried in their native graveyards.
Movement was partially restricted in Parachinar in the morning and security was on high alert in the agency.
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned Friday’s twin bombing in Parachinar and a suicide attack in Quetta.
“He hopes those responsible for these crimes will be swiftly brought to justice,” a statement issued by his spokesperson quoted the UN chief as saying.
In his statement, Guterres extended his condolences to the families of the victims and wished the injured a speedy recovery. He also expressed his solidarity with the people and the Government of Pakistan as well as their efforts to fight terrorism and violent extremism.
The case of bomb explosion in Quetta was registered at the Cantt police station on Saturday against unidentified persons.
The case was registered on behalf of SHO Cantt Aslam Khan. No arrest had been made till the filing of this report.
A team of four forensic experts from Punjab will examine the place of blast.
Meanwhile, another injured Jan Mohammad succumbed to his injures taking the total to 14. The body was handed over to the heirs after completing the necessary procedure.