MUMBAI: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has issued show cause notices to six players for their alleged involvement in a pub brawl after India’s exit from the World Twenty20 in the West Indies.
Yuvraj Singh, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Rohit Sharma, Piyush Chawla and Ravindra Jadega were among those served with notices according to a BCCI official. “Board secretary N Srinivasan signed show cause notices that were served on Tuesday,” said a BCCI official while adding that the notices will not affect selection of these players for the team. According to reports, players were in a pub when fans taunted them for their failure to reach the semi-finals of the World Twenty20. They reacted, resulting in a brawl.
Yuvraj and Nehra nonetheless, denied the incident and team manager Ranjib Biswal sought to play down the issue - detailing the incident in a report to the BCCI but not recommending disciplinary action. Biswal’s report and a probe into the incident by the Board led Shashank Manohar, BCCI president, to issue the show cause notices.
Chief Administrative Officer of the BCCI Ratnakar Shetty had earlier said, “We conducted an inquiry over the incident that was widely reported in media. After considering all matters, the president has decided to issue a show cause notice.”
Published in the Express Tribune, May 19th, 2010.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ